Revisiting the classification of curtoviruses based on genome-wide pairwise identity
Martin, Darren Patrick
Murilo Zerbini, F.
Brown, Judith K.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Desert Agriculture Initiative
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMembers of the genus Curtovirus (family Geminiviridae) are important pathogens of many wild and cultivated plant species. Until recently, relatively few full curtovirus genomes have been characterised. However, with the 19 full genome sequences now available in public databases, we revisit the proposed curtovirus species and strain classification criteria. Using pairwise identities coupled with phylogenetic evidence, revised species and strain demarcation guidelines have been instituted. Specifically, we have established 77% genome-wide pairwise identity as a species demarcation threshold and 94% genome-wide pairwise identity as a strain demarcation threshold. Hence, whereas curtovirus sequences with >77% genome-wide pairwise identity would be classified as belonging to the same species, those sharing >94% identity would be classified as belonging to the same strain. We provide step-by-step guidelines to facilitate the classification of newly discovered curtovirus full genome sequences and a set of defined criteria for naming new species and strains. The revision yields three curtovirus species: Beet curly top virus (BCTV), Spinach severe surly top virus (SpSCTV) and Horseradish curly top virus (HrCTV). © 2014 Springer-Verlag Wien.
SponsorsJNC and EM are members of the Research Group AGR-214, partially funded by Consejeria de Economia, Innovacion y Ciencia, Junta de Andalucia, Spain, cofinanced by FEDER-FSE. AV and DPM are supported by the National Research Foundation, South Africa.
PublisherSpringer Science + Business Media
JournalArchives of Virology
- Fulfilling Koch's postulates for beet curly top Iran virus and proposal for consideration of new genus in the family Geminiviridae.
- Authors: Heydarnejad J, Keyvani N, Razavinejad S, Massumi H, Varsani A
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Genome characterization and genetic diversity of beet curly top Iran virus: a geminivirus with a novel nonanucleotide.
- Authors: Yazdi HR, Heydarnejad J, Massumi H
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Intergeneric recombination between a new, spinach-infecting curtovirus and a new geminivirus belonging to the genus Becurtovirus: first New World exemplar.
- Authors: Hernández-Zepeda C, Varsani A, Brown JK
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Revision of Begomovirus taxonomy based on pairwise sequence comparisons.
- Authors: Brown JK, Zerbini FM, Navas-Castillo J, Moriones E, Ramos-Sobrinho R, Silva JC, Fiallo-Olivé E, Briddon RW, Hernández-Zepeda C, Idris A, Malathi VG, Martin DP, Rivera-Bustamante R, Ueda S, Varsani A
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Turnip curly top virus, a highly divergent geminivirus infecting turnip in Iran.
- Authors: Briddon RW, Heydarnejad J, Khosrowfar F, Massumi H, Martin DP, Varsani A
- Issue date: 2010 Sep