WMe6 tamed by silica: Si-O-WMe5 as an efficient, well-defined species for alkane metathesis, leading to the observation of a supported W-methyl/methylidyne species
Rossini, Aaron J.
Widdifield, Cory M.
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe synthesis and full characterization of a well-defined silica-supported ≡Si-O-W(Me)5 species is reported. Under an inert atmosphere, it is a stable material at moderate temperature, whereas the homoleptic parent complex decomposes above -20 °C, demonstrating the stabilizing effect of immobilization of the molecular complex. Above 70 °C the grafted complex converts into the two methylidyne surface complexes [(≡SiO-)W(≡CH) Me2] and [(≡SiO-)2W(≡CH)Me]. All of these silica-supported complexes are active precursors for propane metathesis reactions. © 2013 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge the KAUST Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Core Lab and technical assistance of Dr. Kazuo Yamauchi. The authors also thank Dr. Nassima Riache for her fruitful discussions. Mr. Benoit Vincenti is thanked for inert-atmosphere sample preparation prior to solid-state NMR experiments upon 2. A.J.R. acknowledges support from an EU Marie-Curie IIF fellowship (PIIF-GA-2010-274574). C.M.W. acknowledges the Natural Sciences and Engineering Council of Canada (NSERC) for a postdoctoral fellowship. Computational resources for DFT calculations were provided by the Pole Scientifique de Modelisation Numerique (PSMN). This work was supported by funds from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Alkane metathesis with the tantalum methylidene [(≡SiO)Ta(═CH2)Me2]/[(≡SiO)2Ta(═CH2)Me] generated from well-defined surface organometallic complex [(≡SiO)Ta(V)Me4].
- Authors: Chen Y, Abou-hamad E, Hamieh A, Hamzaoui B, Emsley L, Basset JM
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 21
- Unearthing a Well-Defined Highly Active Bimetallic W/Ti Precatalyst Anchored on a Single Silica Surface for Metathesis of Propane.
- Authors: Samantaray MK, Kavitake S, Morlanés N, Abou-Hamad E, Hamieh A, Dey R, Basset JM
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 8
- Synergy between Two Metal Catalysts: A Highly Active Silica-Supported Bimetallic W/Zr Catalyst for Metathesis of n-Decane.
- Authors: Samantaray MK, Dey R, Kavitake S, Abou-Hamad E, Bendjeriou-Sedjerari A, Hamieh A, Basset JM
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 13
- Effect of support on metathesis of n-decane: drastic improvement in alkane metathesis with WMe5 linked to silica-alumina.
- Authors: Samantaray MK, Dey R, Abou-Hamad E, Hamieh A, Basset JM
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 13
- Synthesis and characterization of a homogeneous and silica supported homoleptic cationic tungsten(vi) methyl complex: application in olefin metathesis.
- Authors: Dey R, Samantaray MK, Poater A, Hamieh A, Kavitake S, Abou-Hamad E, Callens E, Emwas AH, Cavallo L, Basset JM
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 13