Effects of short-term niacin treatment on plasma lipoprotein concentrations in African green monkeys (Chlorocebus aethiops)
KAUST DepartmentComputational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Online Publication Date2014-02-01
Print Publication Date2014-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563347
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNiacin is the most effective drug available for raising levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. To evaluate its effects on plasma lipid concentrations, the authors administered a low dose of niacin to healthy, adult, female African green monkeys for 3 months. In the treated monkeys, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations decreased by 43% from baseline, whereas concentrations of HDL cholesterol and apolipoprotein A-I increased by 49% and 34%, respectively. The results suggest that in this primate model, a low dose of niacin can effectively increase concentrations of HDL cholesterol.©2014 Nature America, Inc. All rights reserved.
- Effect of niacin on high-density lipoprotein apolipoprotein A-I kinetics in statin-treated patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Pang J, Chan DC, Hamilton SJ, Tenneti VS, Watts GF, Barrett PH
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Apolipoprotein (apo) A-I production and mRNA abundance explain plasma apoA-I and high density lipoprotein differences between two nonhuman primate species with high and low susceptibilities to diet-induced hypercholesterolemia.
- Authors: Sorci-Thomas M, Prack MM, Dashti N, Johnson F, Rudel LL, Williams DL
- Issue date: 1988 Apr 15
- Efficacy and safety of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol-increasing compounds: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
- Authors: Birjmohun RS, Hutten BA, Kastelein JJ, Stroes ES
- Issue date: 2005 Jan 18
- The facts behind niacin.
- Authors: Hochholzer W, Berg DD, Giugliano RP
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Efficacy and safety of combination of extended release niacin and atorvastatin in patients with low levels of high density lipoprotein cholesterol.
- Authors: Harikrishnan S, Rajeev E, Tharakan JA, Titus T, Ajit Kumar VK, Sivasankaran S, Krishnamoorthy KM, Nair K
- Issue date: 2008 May-Jun