Increased expression of Myosin binding protein H in the skeletal muscle of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients
Pesca, Mariasabina Sabina
Previtali, Stefano Carlo
KAUST DepartmentApplied Mathematics and Computational Science Program
Integrative Systems Biology Lab
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563293
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAmyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a severe and fatal neurodegenerative disease of still unknown pathogenesis. Recent findings suggest that the skeletal muscle may play an active pathogenetic role. To investigate ALS's pathogenesis and to seek diagnostic markers, we analyzed skeletal muscle biopsies with the differential expression proteomic approach. We studied skeletal muscle biopsies from healthy controls (CN), sporadic ALS (sALS), motor neuropathies (MN) and myopathies (M). Pre-eminently among several differentially expressed proteins, Myosin binding protein H (MyBP-H) expression in ALS samples was anomalously high. MyBP-H is a component of the thick filaments of the skeletal muscle and has strong affinity for myosin, but its function is still unclear. High MyBP-H expression level was associated with abnormal expression of Rho kinase 2 (ROCK2), LIM domain kinase 1 (LIMK1) and cofilin2, that might affect the actin-myosin interaction. We propose that MyBP-H expression level serves, as a putative biomarker in the skeletal muscle, to discriminate ALS from motor neuropathies, and that it signals the onset of dysregulation in actin-myosin interaction; this in turn might contribute to the pathogenesis of ALS. © 2013 Elsevier B.V.
SponsorsThis work was supported by MoH, RF07-ALS. The authors declare no conflict of interest
- Alterations in muscle proteome of patients diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
- Authors: Elf K, Shevchenko G, Nygren I, Larsson L, Bergquist J, Askmark H, Artemenko K
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 28
- Label-Free LC-MS/MS Proteomic Analysis of Cerebrospinal Fluid Identifies Protein/Pathway Alterations and Candidate Biomarkers for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.
- Authors: Collins MA, An J, Hood BL, Conrads TP, Bowser RP
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 6
- Increased expression of Noga-A in ALS muscle biopsies is not unique for this disease.
- Authors: Wojcik S, Engel WK, Askanas V
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Cell death and apoptosis-related proteins in muscle biopsies of sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and polyneuropathy.
- Authors: Schoser BG, Wehling S, Blottner D
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- Skeletal muscle-specific myosin binding protein-H is expressed in Purkinje fibers of the cardiac conduction system.
- Authors: Alyonycheva T, Cohen-Gould L, Siewert C, Fischman DA, Mikawa T
- Issue date: 1997 May