Band-gap engineering by molecular mechanical strain-induced giant tuning of the luminescence in colloidal amorphous porous silicon nanostructures
KAUST DepartmentBioscience Program
Material Science and Engineering Program
Mechanical Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563257
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNano-silicon is a nanostructured material in which quantum or spatial confinement is the origin of the material's luminescence. When nano-silicon is broken into colloidal crystalline nanoparticles, its luminescence can be tuned across the visible spectrum only when the sizes of the nanoparticles, which are obtained via painstaking filtration methods that are difficult to scale up because of low yield, vary. Bright and tunable colloidal amorphous porous silicon nanostructures have not yet been reported. In this letter, we report on a 100 nm modulation in the emission of freestanding colloidal amorphous porous silicon nanostructures via band-gap engineering. The mechanism responsible for this tunable modulation, which is independent of the size of the individual particles and their distribution, is the distortion of the molecular orbitals by a strained silicon-silicon bond angle. This mechanism is also responsible for the amorphous-to-crystalline transformation of silicon. This journal is
SponsorsWe would like to thank Qingxiao (Vincent) Wang for his help on the STEM and EELS and Dr Dalaver Anjum for acquiring the HRTEM images. We also thank King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) for financial support.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
JournalPhys. Chem. Chem. Phys.
- Silicon filaments in silicon oxide for next-generation photovoltaics.
- Authors: Cuony P, Alexander DT, Perez-Wurfl I, Despeisse M, Bugnon G, Boccard M, Söderström T, Hessler-Wyser A, Hébert C, Ballif C
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 2
- The effect of thermal oxidation on the luminescence properties of nanostructured silicon.
- Authors: Liu L, Sham TK
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 6
- Optical properties of porphyrin molecules immobilized in nano-porous silicon.
- Authors: Parkhutik V, Chirvony V, Matveyeva E
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- [Stabilising porous silicon luminescence by a novel titanium-doped stain etching approach].
- Authors: Liang EJ, Du YD, Chao MJ, Wang J
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Size tuning of luminescent silicon nanoparticles with meso-porous silicon membranes.
- Authors: Serdiuk T, Lysenko V, Alekseev S, Skryshevsky VA
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 1