Three-dimensional parallelization of microfluidic droplet generators for a litre per hour volume production of single emulsions
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electromechanical Microsystems & Polymer Integration Research Lab (EMPIRe)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper looks at the design, fabrication and characterization of stackable microfluidic emulsion generators, with coefficients of variation as low as ~6% and with production rates as high as ~1 L h-1. This work reports the highest throughput reported in the literature for a microfluidic device with simultaneous operation of liquid-liquid droplet generators. The device was achieved by stacking several layers of 128 flow-focusing droplet generators, organized in a circular array. These layers are interconnected via through-holes and fed with designated fractal distribution networks. The proposed layers were milled on poly(methylmethacrylate) (PMMA) sheets and the stack was thermo-compression bonded to create a three-dimensional device with a high density of generators and an integrated hydraulic manifold. The effect of stacking multiple layers was studied and the results show that fabrication accuracy has a greater impact on the dispersity of the emulsion than the addition of more layers to the stack. Particle crystallization of drugs was also demonstrated as a possible application of this technology in industry. © 2014 the Partner Organisations.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
JournalLab on a Chip
- Kilo-scale droplet generation in three-dimensional monolithic elastomer device (3D MED).
- Authors: Jeong HH, Yelleswarapu VR, Yadavali S, Issadore D, Lee D
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 7
- High-volume production of single and compound emulsions in a microfluidic parallelization arrangement coupled with coaxial annular world-to-chip interfaces.
- Authors: Nisisako T, Ando T, Hatsuzawa T
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 21
- Liter-scale production of uniform gas bubbles via parallelization of flow-focusing generators.
- Authors: Jeong HH, Yadavali S, Issadore D, Lee D
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 25
- Novel asymmetric through-hole array microfabricated on a silicon plate for formulating monodisperse emulsions.
- Authors: Kobayashi I, Mukataka S, Nakajima M
- Issue date: 2005 Aug 16
- Comparison of capacitive and radio frequency resonator sensors for monitoring parallelized droplet microfluidic production.
- Authors: Conchouso D, McKerricher G, Arevalo A, Castro D, Shamim A, Foulds IG
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 16