Integrating carbon nanotubes into silicon by means of vertical carbon nanotube field-effect transistors
Abutaha, Anas I.
Alshareef, Husam N.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Nanofabrication and Thin Film Core Lab
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563223
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSingle-walled carbon nanotubes have been integrated into silicon for use in vertical carbon nanotube field-effect transistors (CNTFETs). A unique feature of these devices is that a silicon substrate and a metal contact are used as the source and drain for the vertical transistors, respectively. These CNTFETs show very different characteristics from those fabricated with two metal contacts. Surprisingly, the transfer characteristics of the vertical CNTFETs can be either ambipolar or unipolar (p-type or n-type) depending on the sign of the drain voltage. Furthermore, the p-type/n-type character of the devices is defined by the doping type of the silicon substrate used in the fabrication process. A semiclassical model is used to simulate the performance of these CNTFETs by taking the conductance change of the Si contact under the gate voltage into consideration. The calculation results are consistent with the experimental observations. This journal is © the Partner Organisations 2014.
SponsorsThis research was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). The authors would like to thank Zhihong Wang, Yang Yang, Longqing Chen, Basil Chew, Ahad A Syed, Elhadj M. Diallo and Abdulrazaq Alharbi in the Nanofabrication, Imaging & Characterization core labs at KAUST for their help in device fabrication and characterization.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- The fabrication of carbon nanotube field-effect transistors with semiconductors as the source and drain contact materials.
- Authors: Xiao Z, Camino FE
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 1
- Unipolar p-type single-walled carbon nanotube field-effect transistors using TTF-TCNQ as the contact material.
- Authors: Xian X, Yan K, Zhou W, Jiao L, Wu Z, Liu Z
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 16
- Influence of contact height on the performance of vertically aligned carbon nanotube field-effect transistors.
- Authors: Li J, Cheng Y, Guo Z, Wang Z, Zhu Z, Zhang Q, Chan-Park MB, Schwingenschlögl U, Zhang XX
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 21
- Transformation of unipolar single-walled carbon nanotube field effect transistors to ambipolar induced by polystyrene nanosphere assembly.
- Authors: Wei D, Zhang Y, Yang Y, Hasko DG, Chu D, Teo KB, Amaratunga GA, Milne WI
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 23
- High performance n-type carbon nanotube field-effect transistors with chemically doped contacts.
- Authors: Javey A, Tu R, Farmer DB, Guo J, Gordon RG, Dai H
- Issue date: 2005 Feb