Flux-assisted synthesis of SnNb2O6 for tuning photocatalytic properties
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Catalysis for Energy Conversion (CatEC)
Chemical Science Program
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563197
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA flux-assisted method was used to synthesize SnNb2O6 as a visible-light-responsive metal oxide photocatalyst. The role of flux was investigated in detail using different flux to reactant molar ratios (1 : 1, 3 : 1, 6 : 1, 10 : 1, and 14 : 1) and different reaction temperatures (300, 500, and 600 °C). The obtained products were characterized by X-ray diffraction (XRD), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), diffuse reflectance UV-Vis spectroscopy, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), the Brunauer-Emmett-Teller method (BET), and high resolution scanning transmission electron microscopy (HRTEM). Flux-assisted synthesis led to tin niobate particles of platelet morphology with smooth surfaces. The synthesized crystal showed a 2D anisotropic growth along the (600) plane as the flux ratio increased. The particles synthesized with a high reactant to flux ratio (1 : 10 or higher) exhibited slightly improved photocatalytic activity for hydrogen evolution from an aqueous methanol solution under visible radiation (λ > 420 nm). The photo-deposition of platinum and PbO2 was examined to gain a better understanding of electrons and hole migration pathways in these layered materials. The HR-STEM observation revealed that no preferential deposition of these nanoparticles was observed depending on the surface facets of SnNb 2O6. This journal is © the Partner Organisations 2014.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Room-temperature synthesis of Zn(0.80)Cd(0.20)S solid solution with a high visible-light photocatalytic activity for hydrogen evolution.
- Authors: Wang DH, Wang L, Xu AW
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 21
- Facile synthesis and photocatalytic properties of AgAgClTiO2/rectorite composite.
- Authors: Yang Y, Zhang G, Xu W
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 15
- Synthesis, characterization and visible light photocatalytic properties of Bi2WO6/rectorite composites.
- Authors: Guo Y, Zhang G, Gan H
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 1
- A reduced graphene oxide supported Cu(3)SnS(4) composite as an efficient visible-light photocatalyst.
- Authors: Liu H, Chen Z, Jin Z, Su Y, Wang Y
- Issue date: 2014 May 28
- Recent advances in the use of graphene-family nanoadsorbents for removal of toxic pollutants from wastewater.
- Authors: Chowdhury S, Balasubramanian R
- Issue date: 2014 Feb