ConnectomeExplorer: Query-guided visual analysis of large volumetric neuroscience data
Al-Awami, Ali K.
Lichtman, Jeff W M D
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Computer Science Program
Visual Computing Center (VCC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563124
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper presents ConnectomeExplorer, an application for the interactive exploration and query-guided visual analysis of large volumetric electron microscopy (EM) data sets in connectomics research. Our system incorporates a knowledge-based query algebra that supports the interactive specification of dynamically evaluated queries, which enable neuroscientists to pose and answer domain-specific questions in an intuitive manner. Queries are built step by step in a visual query builder, building more complex queries from combinations of simpler queries. Our application is based on a scalable volume visualization framework that scales to multiple volumes of several teravoxels each, enabling the concurrent visualization and querying of the original EM volume, additional segmentation volumes, neuronal connectivity, and additional meta data comprising a variety of neuronal data attributes. We evaluate our application on a data set of roughly one terabyte of EM data and 750 GB of segmentation data, containing over 4,000 segmented structures and 1,000 synapses. We demonstrate typical use-case scenarios of our collaborators in neuroscience, where our system has enabled them to answer specific scientific questions using interactive querying and analysis on the full-size data for the first time. © 1995-2012 IEEE.
SponsorsWe thank Thomas Theussl and Jose Conchello. This project was partially supported by the Intel ISTC-VC, Google, and NVIDIA.
PubMed Central IDPMC4296725
- Exploring connectivity of the brain's white matter with dynamic queries.
- Authors: Sherbondy A, Akers D, Mackenzie R, Dougherty R, Wandell B
- Issue date: 2005 Jul-Aug
- Visually defining and querying consistent multi-granular clinical temporal abstractions.
- Authors: Combi C, Oliboni B
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- NeuroBlocks--Visual Tracking of Segmentation and Proofreading for Large Connectomics Projects.
- Authors: Ai-Awami AK, Beyer J, Haehn D, Kasthuri N, Lichtman JW, Pfister H, Hadwiger M
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Visual analysis of higher-order conjunctive relationships in multidimensional data using a hypergraph query system.
- Authors: Shadoan R, Weaver C
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Interactive visualization of volumetric white matter connectivity in DT-MRI using a parallel-hardware Hamilton-Jacobi solver.
- Authors: Jeong WK, Fletcher PT, Tao R, Whitaker R
- Issue date: 2007 Nov-Dec