KAUST DepartmentWater Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Water Desalination & Reuse Research Cntr
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563022
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractReverse osmosis (RO) membrane fouling is not a static state but a dynamic phenomenon. The investigation of fouling kinetics and dynamics of change in the composition of the foulant mass is essential to elucidate the mechanism of fouling and foulant-foulant interactions. The aim of this work was to study at a lab scale the fouling process with an emphasis on the changes in the relative composition of foulant material as a function of operating time. Fouled membrane samples were collected at 8 h, and 1, 2, and 4 weeks on a lab-scale RO unit operated in recirculation mode. Foulant characterization was performed by CLSM, AFM, ATR-FTIR, pyrolysis GC-MS, and ICP-MS techniques. Moreover, measurement of active biomass and analysis of microbial diversity were performed by ATP analysis and DNA extraction, followed by pyro-sequencing, respectively. A progressive increase in the abundance of almost all the foulant species was observed, but their relative proportion changed over the age of the fouling layer. Microbial population in all the membrane samples was dominated by specific groups/species belonging to Proteobacteria and Actinobacteria phyla; however, similar to abiotic foulant, their relative abundance also changed with the biofilm age. © 2013 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsWe thank Dr. Wei Xu and Guangchao Wang for help in analyzing samples with confocal laser scanning microscope. Additionally, we thankfully acknowledge the support received from our WDRC lab staff. All the funds for this work were provided by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Dynamic bacterial communities on reverse-osmosis membranes in a full-scale desalination plant.
- Authors: Manes CL, West N, Rapenne S, Lebaron P
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Biofouling of reverse-osmosis membranes during tertiary wastewater desalination: microbial community composition.
- Authors: Al Ashhab A, Herzberg M, Gillor O
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 1
- Spatial and temporal evolution of organic foulant layers on reverse osmosis membranes in wastewater reuse applications.
- Authors: Farias EL, Howe KJ, Thomson BM
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 1
- Microbial community analysis of fouled reverse osmosis membranes used in water recycling.
- Authors: Ayache C, Manes C, Pidou M, Croué JP, Gernjak W
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 15
- Investigation of microbial communities on reverse osmosis membranes used for process water production.
- Authors: Bereschenko LA, Stams AJ, Heilig GH, Euverink GJ, Nederlof MM, Van Loosdrecht MC
- Issue date: 2007