Block copolymer hollow fiber membranes with catalytic activity and pH-response
Behzad, Ali Reza
Nunes, Suzana Pereira
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Chemical and Biological Engineering Program
Nanostructured Polymeric Membrane Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe fabricated block copolymer hollow fiber membranes with self-assembled, shell-side, uniform pore structures. The fibers in these membranes combined pores able to respond to pH and acting as chemical gates that opened above pH 4, and catalytic activity, achieved by the incorporation of gold nanoparticles. We used a dry/wet spinning process to produce the asymmetric hollow fibers and determined the conditions under which the hollow fibers were optimized to create the desired pore morphology and the necessary mechanical stability. To induce ordered micelle assembly in the doped solution, we identified an ideal solvent mixture as confirmed by small-angle X-ray scattering. We then reduced p-nitrophenol with a gold-loaded fiber to confirm the catalytic performance of the membranes. © 2013 American Chemical Society.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Synthesis and characterization of high concentration block copolymer-mediated gold nanoparticles.
- Authors: Ray D, Aswal VK, Kohlbrecher J
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 5
- Novel CeO2 yolk-shell structures loaded with tiny Au nanoparticles for superior catalytic reduction of p-nitrophenol.
- Authors: Fan CM, Zhang LF, Wang SS, Wang DH, Lu LQ, Xu AW
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 7
- Micellar structures of poly(styrene-b-4-vinylpyridine)s in THF/toluene mixtures and their functionalization with gold.
- Authors: Ali N, Park SY
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 2
- Formation and catalytic activity of spherical composites with surfaces coated with gold nanoparticles.
- Authors: Chen X, Zhao D, An Y, Zhang Y, Cheng J, Wang B, Shi L
- Issue date: 2008 Jun 15
- Switchable pH-responsive polymeric membranes prepared via block copolymer micelle assembly.
- Authors: Nunes SP, Behzad AR, Hooghan B, Sougrat R, Karunakaran M, Pradeep N, Vainio U, Peinemann KV
- Issue date: 2011 May 24