Single-molecule study on polymer diffusion in a melt state: Effect of chain topology
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Single-Molecule Spectroscopy and Microscopy Research Group
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562897
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report a new methodology for studying diffusion of individual polymer chains in a melt state, with special emphasis on the effect of chain topology. A perylene diimide fluorophore was incorporated into the linear and cyclic poly(THF)s, and real-time diffusion behavior of individual chains in a melt of linear poly(THF) was measured by means of a single-molecule fluorescence imaging technique. The combination of mean squared displacement (MSD) and cumulative distribution function (CDF) analysis demonstrated the broad distribution of diffusion coefficient of both the linear and cyclic polymer chains in the melt state. This indicates the presence of spatiotemporal heterogeneity of the polymer diffusion which occurs at much larger time and length scales than those expected from the current polymer physics theory. We further demonstrated that the cyclic chains showed marginally slower diffusion in comparison with the linear counterparts, to suggest the effective suppression of the translocation through the threading-entanglement with the linear matrix chains. This coincides with the higher activation energy for the diffusion of the cyclic chains than of the linear chains. These results suggest that the single-molecule imaging technique provides a powerful tool to analyze complicated polymer dynamics and contributes to the molecular level understanding of the chain interaction. © 2013 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsThis work was supported by a Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research Grant No. 22750122 (S.H.), Grant No. 20340109 (M.V.), Grant No. 23685022 (T.Y.), Grant No. 23106709 (T.Y.), and Grant No. 23350050 (Y.T) of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science. S.H. is grateful for the Kurata Grant.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Synthesis of Cyclic Polymers and Characterization of Their Diffusive Motion in the Melt State at the Single Molecule Level.
- Authors: Habuchi S, Yamamoto T, Tezuka Y
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 26
- Slowing down of ring polymer diffusion caused by inter-ring threading.
- Authors: Lee E, Kim S, Jung Y
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Probing the role of chain length on the diffusion dynamics of π-conjugated polymers by fluorescence correlation spectroscopy.
- Authors: Murthy AV, Goel M, Patil S, Jayakannan M
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 22
- Coarse grained model of diffusion in entangled bidisperse polymer melts.
- Authors: Picu RC, Rakshit A
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 14
- Conformation and energy transfer in single conjugated polymers.
- Authors: Bolinger JC, Traub MC, Brazard J, Adachi T, Barbara PF, Vanden Bout DA
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 20