Re-evaluating the role of sterics and electronic coupling in determining the open-circuit voltage of organic solar cells
Ngongang Ndjawa, Guy Olivier
Hoke, Eric T.
Thompson, Mark E.
McGehee, Michael D.
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Office of the VP
Organic Electronics and Photovoltaics Group
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-015-21
Online Publication Date2013-07-30
Print Publication Date2013-11
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562874
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effects of sterics and molecular orientation on the open-circuit voltage and absorbance properties of charge-transfer states are explored in model bilayer organic photovoltaics. It is shown that the open-circuit voltage correlates linearly with the charge-transfer state energy and is not significantly influenced by electronic coupling. © 2013 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
SponsorsThis publication was supported by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (Award No KUS-C1-015-21) and was made possible by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). Portions of this research were carried out at the Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource, a Directorate of SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory and an Office of Science User Facility operated for the US Department of Energy Office of Science by Stanford University. We also acknowledge Michael F. Toney for assistance with GIWAXS measurements at beamline 11-3. K.R.G. and A.A. acknowledge SABIC for a post-doctoral fellowship. G.O.N.N., K.R.G., M.D.M., and A.A. acknowledge the Office of Competitive Research Funds for a GRP-CF award. This work was partially supported by the Department of Energy, Laboratory Directed Research and Development funding, under contract DE-AC02-76SF00515 (K.V.).
- Solution-processed fullerene-based organic Schottky junction devices for large-open-circuit-voltage organic solar cells.
- Authors: Yang B, Guo F, Yuan Y, Xiao Z, Lu Y, Dong Q, Huang J
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 25
- Role of the charge transfer state in organic donor-acceptor solar cells.
- Authors: Deibel C, Strobel T, Dyakonov V
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 1
- Beyond fullerenes: design of nonfullerene acceptors for efficient organic photovoltaics.
- Authors: Li H, Earmme T, Ren G, Saeki A, Yoshikawa S, Murari NM, Subramaniyan S, Crane MJ, Seki S, Jenekhe SA
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 15
- Series circuit of organic thin-film solar cells for conversion of water into hydrogen.
- Authors: Aoki A, Naruse M, Abe T
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 22
- Electric field-induced dipole switching at the donor/acceptor interface in organic solar cells.
- Authors: Zhong Y, Ma J, Hashimoto K, Tajima K
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 20