Synthesis and integration of Fe-soc-MOF cubes into colloidosomes via a single-step emulsion-based approach
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Functional Materials Design, Discovery and Development (FMD3)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2013-07-09
Print Publication Date2013-07-17
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562866
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBottom-up fabrication of complex 3D hollow superstructures from nonspherical building blocks (BBs) poses a significant challenge for scientists in materials chemistry and physics. Spherical colloidal silica or polystyrene particles are therefore often integrated as BBs for the preparation of an emerging class of materials, namely colloidosomes (using colloidal particles for Pickering stabilization and fusing them to form a permeable shell). Herein, we describe for the first time a one-step emulsion-based technique that permits the assembly of metal-organic framework (MOF) faceted polyhedral BBs (i.e., cubes instead of spheres) into 3D hollow superstructures (or "colloidosomes" ). The shell of each resultant hollow MOF colloidosome is constructed from a monolayer of cubic BBs, whose dimensions can be precisely controlled by varying the amount of emulsifier used in the synthesis. © 2013 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge financial support from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia and National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore. The authors also would like to thank Kexin Yao and Lan Zhao in KAUST for productive discussion and TEM measurements.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Synthesis of highly monodispersed Ga-soc-MOF hollow cubes, colloidosomes and nanocomposites.
- Authors: Cai X, Deng X, Xie Z, Bao S, Shi Y, Lin J, Pang M, Eddaoudi M
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 2
- Synthesis of Breathing Metallopolymer Hollow Spheres for Redox-Controlled Release.
- Authors: Scheid D, von der Lühe M, Gallei M
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Design and preparation of a core-shell metal-organic framework for selective CO2 capture.
- Authors: Li T, Sullivan JE, Rosi NL
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 10
- Encapsulation of laccase in silica colloidosomes for catalysis in organic media.
- Authors: Zhang C, Hu C, Zhao Y, Möller M, Yan K, Zhu X
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 10
- All-silica colloidosomes with a particle-bilayer shell.
- Authors: Wang H, Zhu X, Tsarkova L, Pich A, Möller M
- Issue date: 2011 May 24