Hollow-fiber membrane bioreactor for the treatment of high-strength landfill leachate
El-Fadel, Mutasem E.
Ayoub, George M.
Darwiche, Nadine D.
KAUST DepartmentWater Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Environmental Biotechnology Research Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPerformance assessment of membrane bioreactor (MBR) technology for the treatability of high-strength landfill leachate is relatively limited or lacking. This study examines the feasibility of treating high-strength landfill leachate using a hollow-fiber MBR. For this purpose, a laboratory-scale MBR was constructed and operated to treat leachate with a chemical oxygen demand (COD) of 9000-11,000 mg/l, a 5-day biochemical oxygen demand (BOD5) of 4000-6,000 mg/l, volatile suspended solids (VSS) of 300-500 mg/l, total nitrogen (TN) of 2000-6000 mg/l, and an ammonia-nitrogen (NH3-N) of 1800-4000 mg/l. VSS was used with the BOD and COD data to simulate the biological activity in the activated sludge. Removal efficiencies > 95-99% for BOD5, VSS, TN and NH3-N were attained. The coupled experimental and simulation results contribute in filling a gap in managing high-strength landfill leachate and providing guidelines for corresponding MBR application. © The Author(s) 2013.
SponsorsSpecial thanks are extended to the US Agency for International Development for funding the rehabilitation efforts at the Zahle landfill.
JournalWaste Management & Research
- Combined coagulation-flocculation and sequencing batch reactor with phosphorus adjustment for the treatment of high-strength landfill leachate: experimental kinetics and chemical oxygen demand fractionation.
- Authors: El-Fadel M, Matar F, Hashisho J
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Hollow fiber vs. flat sheet MBR for the treatment of high strength stabilized landfill leachate.
- Authors: Hashisho J, El-Fadel M, Al-Hindi M, Salam D, Alameddine I
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Removal of organic micro-pollutants from solid waste landfill leachate in membrane bioreactor operated without excess sludge discharge.
- Authors: Boonyaroj V, Chiemchaisri C, Chiemchaisri W, Yamamoto K
- Issue date: 2012
- Treatment of landfill leachate by combined aged-refuse bioreactor and electro-oxidation.
- Authors: Lei Y, Shen Z, Huang R, Wang W
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- A comparative examination of MBR and SBR performance for the treatment of high-strength landfill leachate.
- Authors: El-Fadel M, Hashisho J
- Issue date: 2014 Sep