Improving electrical conductivity in polycarbonate nanocomposites using highly conductive PEDOT/PSS coated MWCNTs
KAUST DepartmentComposite and Heterogeneous Material Analysis and Simulation Laboratory (COHMAS)
Mechanical Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2013-06-25
Print Publication Date2013-07-10
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562859
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe describe a strategy to design highly electrically conductive polycarbonate nanocomposites by using multiwalled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs) coated with a thin layer of poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene)/ poly(styrenesulfonate), a conductive polymer. We found that this coating method improves the electrical properties of the nanocomposites in two ways. First, the coating becomes the main electrical conductive path. Second, the coating promotes the formation of a percolation network at a low filler concentration (0.3 wt %). To tailor the electrical properties of the conductive polymer coating, we used a polar solvent ethylene glycol, and we can tune the final properties of the nanocomposite by controlling the concentrations of the elementary constituents or the intrinsic properties of the conductive polymer coating. This very flexible technique allows for tailoring the properties of the final product. © 2013 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsThe authors gratefully acknowledge financial support received from KAUST, the BOEING company, and SABIC.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Electrically conductive polymeric materials with high stretchability and excellent elasticity by a surface coating method.
- Authors: Li Y, Zhao L, Shimizu H
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 2
- Investigating the Inter-Tube Conduction Mechanism in Polycarbonate Nanocomposites Prepared with Conductive Polymer-Coated Carbon Nanotubes.
- Authors: Ventura IA, Zhou J, Lubineau G
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Probing the cooperative nature of the conductive components in polystyrene/poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene):poly(styrene sulfonate)-single-walled carbon nanotube composites.
- Authors: Hermant MC, van der Schoot P, Klumperman B, Koning CE
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 27
- Tunable Chemical Grafting of Three-Dimensional Poly (3, 4-ethylenedioxythiophene)/Poly (4-styrenesulfonate)-Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes Composite with Faster Charge-Carrier Transport for Enhanced Gas Sensing Performance.
- Authors: Kim H, Jang Y, Lee GW, Yang SY, Jung J, Oh J
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 27
- Thermoelectric properties of nanocomposite thin films prepared with poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) poly(styrenesulfonate) and graphene.
- Authors: Kim GH, Hwang DH, Woo SI
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 14