Exploring the connectome: Petascale volume visualization of microscopy data streams
Al-Awami, Ali K.
Lichtman, Jeff W M D
KAUST DepartmentVisual Computing Center (VCC)
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Computer Science Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562851
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecent advances in high-resolution microscopy let neuroscientists acquire neural-tissue volume data of extremely large sizes. However, the tremendous resolution and the high complexity of neural structures present big challenges to storage, processing, and visualization at interactive rates. A proposed system provides interactive exploration of petascale (petavoxel) volumes resulting from high-throughput electron microscopy data streams. The system can concurrently handle multiple volumes and can support the simultaneous visualization of high-resolution voxel segmentation data. Its visualization-driven design restricts most computations to a small subset of the data. It employs a multiresolution virtual-memory architecture for better scalability than previous approaches and for handling incomplete data. Researchers have employed it for a 1-teravoxel mouse cortex volume, of which several hundred axons and dendrites as well as synapses have been segmented and labeled. © 1981-2012 IEEE.
CitationBeyer, J., Hadwiger, M., Al-Awami, A., Won-Ki Jeong, Kasthuri, N., Lichtman, J. W., & Pfister, H. (2013). Exploring the Connectome: Petascale Volume Visualization of Microscopy Data Streams. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, 33(4), 50–61. doi:10.1109/mcg.2013.55
PubMed Central IDPMC4296712
- Interactive Volume Exploration of Petascale Microscopy Data Streams Using a Visualization-Driven Virtual Memory Approach.
- Authors: Hadwiger M, Beyer J, Jeong WK, Pfister H
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Scalable and interactive segmentation and visualization of neural processes in EM datasets.
- Authors: Jeong WK, Beyer J, Hadwiger M, Vazquez A, Pfister H, Whitaker RT
- Issue date: 2009 Nov-Dec
- NeuroBlocks--Visual Tracking of Segmentation and Proofreading for Large Connectomics Projects.
- Authors: Ai-Awami AK, Beyer J, Haehn D, Kasthuri N, Lichtman JW, Pfister H, Hadwiger M
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- VAST (Volume Annotation and Segmentation Tool): Efficient Manual and Semi-Automatic Labeling of Large 3D Image Stacks.
- Authors: Berger DR, Seung HS, Lichtman JW
- Issue date: 2018
- NeuroLines: A Subway Map Metaphor for Visualizing Nanoscale Neuronal Connectivity.
- Authors: Al-Awami AK, Beyer J, Strobelt H, Kasthuri N, Lichtman JW, Pfister H, Hadwiger M
- Issue date: 2014 Dec