Record mobility in transparent p-type tin monoxide films and devices by phase engineering
AuthorsCaraveo-Frescas, Jesus Alfonso
Nayak, Pradipta K.
Al-Jawhari, Hala A.
Bianchi Granato, Danilo
Alshareef, Husam N.
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Computational Physics and Materials Science (CPMS)
Functional Nanomaterials and Devices Research Group
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562821
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHere, we report the fabrication of nanoscale (15 nm) fully transparent p-type SnO thin film transistors (TFT) at temperatures as low as 180 C with record device performance. Specifically, by carefully controlling the process conditions, we have developed SnO thin films with a Hall mobility of 18.71 cm2 V-1 s-1 and fabricated TFT devices with a linear field-effect mobility of 6.75 cm2 V-1 s -1 and 5.87 cm2 V-1 s-1 on transparent rigid and translucent flexible substrates, respectively. These values of mobility are the highest reported to date for any p-type oxide processed at this low temperature. We further demonstrate that this high mobility is realized by careful phase engineering. Specifically, we show that phase-pure SnO is not necessarily the highest mobility phase; instead, well-controlled amounts of residual metallic tin are shown to substantially increase the hole mobility. A detailed phase stability map for physical vapor deposition of nanoscale SnO is constructed for the first time for this p-type oxide. © 2013 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsThe authors thank Dongkyu Cha for the TEM and SEM images and Nejib Hedhili for the XPS measurements. J. A. Caraveo-Frescas thanks the KAUST nanofabrication and thin film facilities personnel for their support. H. N. Alshareef acknowledges the generous support of the KAUST baseline fund.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- P-type Cu(2)O/SnO bilayer thin film transistors processed at low temperatures.
- Authors: Al-Jawhari HA, Caraveo-Frescas JA, Hedhili MN, Alshareef HN
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 9
- High-mobility transparent thin-film transistors with an Sb-doped SnO2 nanocrystal channel fabricated at room temperature.
- Authors: Sun J, Lu A, Wang L, Hu Y, Wan Q
- Issue date: 2009 Aug 19
- Low-Voltage Metal-Oxide Thin Film Transistors Using <i>P</i>-Type Tin-Oxide Semiconductors.
- Authors: Chen YL, Liou GL, Hsu HH, Chen PC, Zheng ZW, Wu YH, Cheng CH, Liu CH, Chung LH
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 1
- Fabrication and electrical properties of low temperature-processed thin-film-transistors with chemical-bath deposited ZnO layer.
- Authors: Ahn JS, Kwon JH, Yang H
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- High-performance transparent inorganic-organic hybrid thin-film n-type transistors.
- Authors: Wang L, Yoon MH, Lu G, Yang Y, Facchetti A, Marks TJ
- Issue date: 2006 Nov