Light harvesting complexes of Chromera velia, photosynthetic relative of apicomplexan parasites
Litvín, Radek V.
KAUST DepartmentComputational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Pathogen Genomics Laboratory
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562781
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe structure and composition of the light harvesting complexes from the unicellular alga Chromera velia were studied by means of optical spectroscopy, biochemical and electron microscopy methods. Two different types of antennae systems were identified. One exhibited a molecular weight (18-19 kDa) similar to FCP (fucoxanthin chlorophyll protein) complexes from diatoms, however, single particle analysis and circular dichroism spectroscopy indicated similarity of this structure to the recently characterized XLH antenna of xanthophytes. In light of these data we denote this antenna complex CLH, for "Chromera Light Harvesting" complex. The other system was identified as the photosystem I with bound Light Harvesting Complexes (PSI-LHCr) related to the red algae LHCI antennae. The result of this study is the finding that C. velia, when grown in natural light conditions, possesses light harvesting antennae typically found in two different, evolutionary distant, groups of photosynthetic organisms. © 2013 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
SponsorsThis research was supported by the GAAV 32-IAA601410907 and GAJU 134/2010/P with institutional support RVO:60077344. Research on C. velia genomics is supported by an Award IC/2010/09 made by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) to A. Pain. The authors are greatly indebted to the team of J. Lukes, R. Sobotka and P. Keeling, for giving access to their data concerning the split of the photosystem I reaction center protein prior to publication. Thanks are extended to I. Hunalova and F. Matousek for technical assistance.
- Novel type of red-shifted chlorophyll a antenna complex from Chromera velia. I. Physiological relevance and functional connection to photosystems.
- Authors: Kotabová E, Jarešová J, Kaňa R, Sobotka R, Bína D, Prášil O
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Pigment structure in the FCP-like light-harvesting complex from Chromera velia.
- Authors: Llansola-Portoles MJ, Uragami C, Pascal AA, Bina D, Litvin R, Robert B
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Phylogenetic analysis of the light-harvesting system in Chromera velia.
- Authors: Pan H, Slapeta J, Carter D, Chen M
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Violaxanthin inhibits nonphotochemical quenching in light-harvesting antenna of Chromera velia.
- Authors: Kaňa R, Kotabová E, Kopečná J, Trsková E, Belgio E, Sobotka R, Ruban AV
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- The composition and structure of photosystem I-associated antenna from Cyanidioschyzon merolae.
- Authors: Busch A, Nield J, Hippler M
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 1