Foam-film-stabilized liquid bridge networks in evaporative lithography and wet granular matter
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Clean Combustion Research Center
Mechanical Engineering Program
High-Speed Fluids Imaging Laboratory
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEvaporative lithography using latex particle templates is a novel approach for the self-assembly of suspension-dispersed nanoparticles into ordered microwire networks. The phenomenon that drives the self-assembly process is the propagation of a network of interconnected liquid bridges between the template particles and the underlying substrate. With the aid of video microscopy, we demonstrate that these liquid bridges are in fact the border zone between the underlying substrate and foam films vertical to the substrate, which are formed during the evaporation of the liquid from the suspension. The stability of the foam films and thus the liquid bridge network stability are due to the presence of a small amount of surfactant in the evaporating solution. We show that the same type of foam-film-stabilized liquid bridge network can also propagate in 3D clusters of spherical particles, which has important implications for the understanding of wet granular matter. © 2013 American Chemical Society.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society
- Particulate templates and ordered liquid bridge networks in evaporative lithography.
- Authors: Vakarelski IU, Kwek JW, Tang X, O'Shea SJ, Chan DY
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 1
- Assembly of gold nanoparticles into microwire networks induced by drying liquid bridges.
- Authors: Vakarelski IU, Chan DY, Nonoguchi T, Shinto H, Higashitani K
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 6
- Aqueous foam films stabilized by sodium naphthenates.
- Authors: Taylor SD, Czarnecki J, Masliyah J
- Issue date: 2006 Jul 1
- Thinning of a vertical free-draining aqueous film incorporating colloidal particles.
- Authors: Tan SN, Yang Y, Horn RG
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 5
- Effect of geometry on the dewetting of granular chains by evaporation.
- Authors: Cejas CM, Hough LA, Frétigny C, Dreyfus R
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 29