17β estradiol regulation of connexin 43-based gap junction and mechanosensitivity through classical estrogen receptor pathway in osteocyte-like MLO-Y4 cells.
KAUST DepartmentImaging and Characterization Core Lab
Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562714
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractConnexin 43 (Cx43) plays an essential role in osteocyte mechanotransduction. Although estrogen involves in the adaptive responses of bone cells to mechanical loadings, its effects on osteocytic Cx43-based gap junction intercellular communication (GJIC) remain obscure. We found that 17β estradiol (E2) up-regulated Cx43, and enhanced GJIC in osteocyte-like MLO-Y4 cells in fluorescence recovery after photobleaching (FRAP) assay. Combination of E2 pre-treatment and oscillating fluid flow (OFF) further enhanced Cx43 expression and mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) phosphorylation, comparing to E2 or OFF treatment alone. Both blocking of classical estrogen receptors (ERα/β) by fulvestrant and ERα knockdown by small interfering RNA inhibited E2-mediated Cx43 increase, while a GPR30-specific agonist G-1 failed to promote Cx43 expression. Our results suggest that the presence of E2 enhanced Cx43-based GJIC mainly via ERα/β pathway, and sensitized osteocytes to mechanical loading. © 2012 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
SponsorsWe thank Dr. Lynda Bonewald for her kind gift of MLO-Y4 cells. This work was supported by the Nature Science Foundation of Shanghai, China (grant no. 11ZR1440700) and Scientific research Funds for distinguished Young Scholar of Shanghai colleges and universities (grant no. 1504144003 & 1504144502).
- Expression of functional gap junctions and regulation by fluid flow in osteocyte-like MLO-Y4 cells.
- Authors: Cheng B, Zhao S, Luo J, Sprague E, Bonewald LF, Jiang JX
- Issue date: 2001 Feb
- Hormonal, pH, and calcium regulation of connexin 43-mediated dye transfer in osteocytes in chick calvaria.
- Authors: Ishihara Y, Kamioka H, Honjo T, Ueda H, Takano-Yamamoto T, Yamashiro T
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- 17beta-estradiol reduces the effect of metabolic inhibition on gap junction intercellular communication in rat cardiomyocytes via the estrogen receptor.
- Authors: Chung TH, Wang SM, Wu JC
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Connexin 43 channels protect osteocytes against oxidative stress-induced cell death.
- Authors: Kar R, Riquelme MA, Werner S, Jiang JX
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Cytokine effects on gap junction communication and connexin expression in human bladder smooth muscle cells and suburothelial myofibroblasts.
- Authors: Heinrich M, Oberbach A, Schlichting N, Stolzenburg JU, Neuhaus J
- Issue date: 2011