QSAR models for oxidation of organic micropollutants in water based on ozone and hydroxyl radical rate constants and their chemical classification
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOzonation is an oxidation process for the removal of organic micropollutants (OMPs) from water and the chemical reaction is governed by second-order kinetics. An advanced oxidation process (AOP), wherein the hydroxyl radicals (OH radicals) are generated, is more effective in removing a wider range of OMPs from water than direct ozonation. Second-order rate constants (kOH and kO3) are good indices to estimate the oxidation efficiency, where higher rate constants indicate more rapid oxidation. In this study, quantitative structure activity relationships (QSAR) models for O3 and AOP processes were developed, and rate constants, kOH and kO3, were predicted based on target compound properties. The kO3 and kOH values ranged from 5 * 10-4 to 105 M-1s-1 and 0.04 to 18 * (109) M-1 s-1, respectively. Several molecular descriptors which potentially influence O3 and OH radical oxidation were identified and studied. The QSAR-defining descriptors were double bond equivalence (DBE), ionisation potential (IP), electron-affinity (EA) and weakly-polar component of solvent accessible surface area (WPSA), and the chemical and statistical significance of these descriptors was discussed. Multiple linear regression was used to build the QSAR models, resulting in high goodness-of-fit, r2 (>0.75). The models were validated by internal and external validation along with residual plots. © 2012 Elsevier Ltd.
- QSAR models for the removal of organic micropollutants in four different river water matrices.
- Authors: Sudhakaran S, Calvin J, Amy GL
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Treatment of volatile organic chemicals on the EPA Contaminant Candidate List using ozonation and the O3/H2O2 advanced oxidation process.
- Authors: Chen WR, Sharpless CM, Linden KG, Suffet IH
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 15
- Reaction kinetics of selected micropollutants in ozonation and advanced oxidation processes.
- Authors: Jin X, Peldszus S, Huck PM
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 1
- Ozonation of drinking water: part I. Oxidation kinetics and product formation.
- Authors: von Gunten U
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- Oxidation of pharmaceuticals during ozonation and advanced oxidation processes.
- Authors: Huber MM, Canonica S, Park GY, von Gunten U
- Issue date: 2003 Mar 1