Improving the stability of thermophilic anaerobic digesters treating SS-OFMSW through enrichment with compost and leachate seeds
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Environmental Biotechnology Research Group
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562667
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper examines the potential of improving the stability of thermophilic anaerobic digestion of source-sorted organic fraction of municipal solid waste (SS-OFMSW) by adding leachate and compost during inoculation. For this purpose, two stable thermophilic digesters, A (control) and B (with added leachate and compost), were subjected to a sustained substrate shock by doubling the organic loading rate for one week. Feeding was suspended then gradually resumed to reach the pre-shock loading rate (2. gVS/l/d). Digester A failed, exhibiting excessive increase in acetate and a corresponding decrease in pH and methane generation, and lower COD and solids removal efficiencies. In contrast, digester B was able to restore its functionality with 90% recovery of pre-shock methane generation rate at stable pH, lower hydrogen levels, and reduced VFAs and ammonia accumulation. © 2012 Elsevier Ltd.
CitationGhanimeh, S., El-Fadel, M., & Saikaly, P. (2013). Improving the stability of thermophilic anaerobic digesters treating SS-OFMSW through enrichment with compost and leachate seeds. Bioresource Technology, 131, 53–59. doi:10.1016/j.biortech.2012.12.127
SponsorsThis work was supported by the National Council for Scientific Research, Lebanon and the Masri Institute of Energy and Natural Resources at the American University of Beirut. Special thanks are extended to the US Agency for International Development for its support in acquiring the automated bioreactors used in the experimental program. The authors thank Ms. Dana Al-Sanioura for assisting in operating and monitoring the bioreactors.
- Semi-dry mesophilic anaerobic digestion of water sorted organic fraction of municipal solid waste (WS-OFMSW).
- Authors: Dong L, Zhenhong Y, Yongming S
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- The effects of leachate recirculation with supplemental water addition on methane production and waste decomposition in a simulated tropical landfill.
- Authors: Sanphoti N, Towprayoon S, Chaiprasert P, Nopharatana A
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor--a review.
- Authors: Bal AS, Dhagat NN
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- A novel process configuration for anaerobic digestion of source-sorted household waste using hyper-thermophilic post-treatment.
- Authors: Hartmann H, Ahring BK
- Issue date: 2005 Jun 30
- Anaerobic digestion of extruded OFMSW.
- Authors: Novarino D, Zanetti MC
- Issue date: 2012 Jan