Spin-cast bulk heterojunction solar cells: A dynamical investigation
AuthorsChou, Kang Wei
Anjum, Dalaver H.
Biocca, Alan K.
Thoroddsen, Sigurdur T
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Mechanical Engineering Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
Materials Science and Engineering Program
High-Speed Fluids Imaging Laboratory
Organic Electronics and Photovoltaics Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSpin-coating is extensively used in the lab-based manufacture of organic solar cells, including most of the record-setting solution-processed cells. We report the first direct observation of photoactive layer formation as it occurs during spin-coating. The study provides new insight into mechanisms and kinetics of bulk heterojunction formation, which may be crucial for its successful transfer to scalable printing processes. Copyright © 2013 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
SponsorsThe authors thank the Frechet group at University of California at Berkeley with in particular Alan Yiu, Dr. Jeremy Niskala and Dr. Claire Woo for helpful discussions and assistance in the on-site device fabrication and testing. The authors also thank Prof. Natalie Stingelin for valuable discussions. This work was supported by KAUST's Office of Collaborative Research Grant. The Advanced Light Source is supported by the Director, Office of Science, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, of the U.S. Department of Energy under Contract No. DE-AC02-05CH11231.
CollectionsArticles; Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab; Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division; Electrical Engineering Program; Materials Science and Engineering Program; Mechanical Engineering Program; KAUST Solar Center (KSC); Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
- Printing highly efficient organic solar cells.
- Authors: Hoth CN, Schilinsky P, Choulis SA, Brabec CJ
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Strategies for increasing the efficiency of heterojunction organic solar cells: material selection and device architecture.
- Authors: Heremans P, Cheyns D, Rand BP
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 17
- Solution-processable triindoles as hole selective materials in organic solar cells.
- Authors: Shelton SW, Chen TL, Barclay DE, Ma B
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Efficient squaraine-based solution processable bulk-heterojunction solar cells.
- Authors: Silvestri F, Irwin MD, Beverina L, Facchetti A, Pagani GA, Marks TJ
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 31
- Mechanism of recombination losses in bulk heterojunction P3HT:PCBM solar cells studied using intensity modulated photocurrent spectroscopy.
- Authors: Byers JC, Ballantyne S, Rodionov K, Mann A, Semenikhin OA
- Issue date: 2011 Feb