Source water quality shaping different fouling scenarios in a full-scale desalination plant at the Red Sea
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562625
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe complexity of Reverse Osmosis (RO) membrane fouling phenomenon has been widely studied and several factors influencing it have been reported by many researchers. This original study involves the investigation of two different fouling profiles produced at a seawater RO desalination plant installed on a floating mobile barge. The plant was moved along the coastline of the Red Sea in Saudi Arabia. The two locations where the barge was anchored showed different water quality. At the second location, two modules were harvested. One of the modules was pre-fouled by inorganics during plant operation at the previous site while the other was installed at the second site. Fouled membranes were subjected to a wide range of chemical and microbiological characterization procedures. Drastically different fouling patterns were observed in the two membranes which indicates the influence of source water quality on membrane surface modification and on fouling of RO membranes. © 2012 Elsevier Ltd.
- Does chlorination of seawater reverse osmosis membranes control biofouling?
- Authors: Khan MT, Hong PY, Nada N, Croue JP
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 1
- How different is the composition of the fouling layer of wastewater reuse and seawater desalination RO membranes?
- Authors: Khan MT, Busch M, Molina VG, Emwas AH, Aubry C, Croue JP
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 1
- Flux patterns and membrane fouling propensity during desalination of seawater by forward osmosis.
- Authors: Li ZY, Yangali-Quintanilla V, Valladares-Linares R, Li Q, Zhan T, Amy G
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 1
- Combined coagulation-disk filtration process as a pretreatment of ultrafiltration and reverse osmosis membrane for wastewater reclamation: an autopsy study of a pilot plant.
- Authors: Chon K, Kim SJ, Moon J, Cho J
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 15
- Subsurface intake systems: Green choice for improving feed water quality at SWRO desalination plants, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
- Authors: Dehwah AHA, Missimer TM
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 1