Methane reacts with heteropolyacids chemisorbed on silica to produce acetic acid under soft conditions
Rossini, Aaron J.
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562614
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSelective functionalization of methane at moderate temperature is of crucial economic, environmental, and scientific importance. Here, we report that methane reacts with heteropolyacids (HPAs) chemisorbed on silica to produce acetic acid under soft conditions. Specially, when chemisorbed on silica, H 4SiW12O40, H3PW12O 40, H4SiMo12O40, and H 3PMo12O40 activate the primary C-H bond of methane at room temperature and atmospheric pressure. With these systems, acetic acid is produced directly from methane, in a single step, in the absence of Pd and without adding CO. Extensive surface characterization by solid-state NMR spectroscopy, IR spectroscopy, cyclic voltammetry, and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy suggests that C-H activation of methane is triggered by the protons in the HPA-silica interface with concerted reduction of the Keggin cage, leading to water formation and hydration of the interface. This is the simplest and mildest way reported to date to functionalize methane. © 2012 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge KAUST Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Core Lab and technical assistance of Dr. Kazuo Yamauchi (NMR). The authors also wish to thank Dr. Aram Amassian, Mr. Ahmed E. Mansour, and Mr. Guy Olivier NGONGANG NDJAWA for their kind help in XPS measurements. M.S. acknowledges support from Dr. Xin Liu in HPA structure drawing. A.J.R acknowledges support from an EU Marie-Curie IIF fellowship (PIIF-GA-2010-274574). This work was supported by funds from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology and SABIC (Saudi Basic Industries Corporation) company.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society
- Location of protons in anhydrous Keggin heteropolyacids H(3)PMo(12)O(40) and H(3)PW(12)O(40) by (1)H[(31)P]/(31)P[(1)H] REDOR NMR and DFT quantum chemical calculations.
- Authors: Ganapathy S, Fournier M, Paul JF, Delevoye L, Guelton M, Amoureux JP
- Issue date: 2002 Jul 3
- Characterization of silica-supported dodecatungstic heteropolyacids as a function of their dehydroxylation temperature.
- Authors: Legagneux N, Basset JM, Thomas A, Lefebvre F, Goguet A, Sá J, Hardacre C
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 28
- Surface and bulk aspects of mixed oxide catalytic nanoparticles: oxidation and dehydration of CH(3)OH by polyoxometallates.
- Authors: Nakka L, Molinari JE, Wachs IE
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 28
- Mechanistic insight into the formation of acetic acid from the direct conversion of methane and carbon dioxide on zinc-modified H-ZSM-5 zeolite.
- Authors: Wu JF, Yu SM, Wang WD, Fan YX, Bai S, Zhang CW, Gao Q, Huang J, Wang W
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 11
- Direct functionalization of M-C (M = Pt(II), Pd(II)) bonds using environmentally benign oxidants, O2 and H2O2.
- Authors: Vedernikov AN
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 19