Interpretation of atom probe tomography data for the intermetallic TiAl+Nb by means of field evaporation simulation
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562562
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this paper simulations of the field evaporation process during field ion microscopy (FIM) and atom probe tomography (APT) are presented and compared with experimental data. The Müller-Schottky-model  was extended to include the local atomic arrangement on the evaporation process of atoms. This arrangement was described by the sum of the next-neighbor-binding-energies, which differ for an atom of type A, depending on how many A-A, B-B or A-B bonds are present. Thus simulations of APT-data of intermetallic phases become feasible. In this study simulations of L10-TiAl with additions of Nb are compared with experimental data. Certain artifacts, which appear for experimental data are treated as well. © 2012 Elsevier B.V.
SponsorsThe authors would like to acknowledge financial support by the Deutsch-Chinesisches Zentrum zur Wissenschaftsforderung (032/2), Beijing and the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (Contract AL 592/1-3).
- Investigation of the site occupation of atoms in pure and doped TiAl/Ti3Al intermetallic.
- Authors: Boll T, Al-Kassab T, Yuan Y, Liu ZG
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Atom probe tomography simulations and density functional theory calculations of bonding energies in Cu3Au.
- Authors: Boll T, Zhu ZY, Al-Kassab T, Schwingenschlögl U
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Direct atomic-scale imaging of hydrogen and oxygen interstitials in pure niobium using atom-probe tomography and aberration-corrected scanning transmission electron microscopy.
- Authors: Kim YJ, Tao R, Klie RF, Seidman DN
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 22
- Chromatic aberrations in the field evaporation behavior of small precipitates.
- Authors: Marquis EA, Vurpillot F
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Ordering energies and occupancies in doped TiAl, and dedicated ALCHEMI instrumentation.
- Authors: Spence JC, Jiang N, Weierstall U
- Issue date: 2002 Aug