Focusing and imaging with increased numerical apertures through multimode fibers with micro-fabricated optics
Di Fabrizio, Enzo M.
Di Leonardo, Roberto
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Materials Science and Engineering Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe use of individual multimode optical fibers in endoscopy applications has the potential to provide highly miniaturized and noninvasive probes for microscopy and optical micromanipulation. A few different strategies have been proposed recently, but they all suffer from intrinsically low resolution related to the low numerical aperture of multimode fibers. Here, we show that two-photon polymerization allows for direct fabrication of micro-optics components on the fiber end, resulting in an increase of the numerical aperture to a value that is close to 1. Coupling light into the fiber through a spatial light modulator, we were able to optically scan a submicrometer spot (300 nm FWHM) over an extended region, facing the opposite fiber end. Fluorescence imaging with improved resolution is also demonstrated. © 2013 Optical Society of America.
SponsorsThe research leading to these results has received funding from the European Research Council under the European Union's Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007-2013)/ERC grant agreement no. 307940. We also acknowledge funding from MIUR-FIRB project no. RBFR08WDBE.
PublisherOptical Society of America
- High-resolution wavefront shaping with a photonic crystal fiber for multimode fiber imaging.
- Authors: Amitonova LV, Descloux A, Petschulat J, Frosz MH, Ahmed G, Babic F, Jiang X, Mosk AP, Russell PS, Pinkse PW
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 1
- High-numerical-aperture microlensed tip on an air-clad optical fiber.
- Authors: Kato S, Chonan S, Aoki T
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 15
- Increasing the imaging capabilities of multimode fibers by exploiting the properties of highly scattering media.
- Authors: Papadopoulos IN, Farahi S, Moser C, Psaltis D
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 1
- Miniature micro-wire based optical fiber-field access device.
- Authors: Pevec S, Donlagic D
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 3
- Illumination and fluorescence collection volumes for fiber optic probes in tissue.
- Authors: Tai DC, Hooks DA, Harvey JD, Smaill BH, Soeller C
- Issue date: 2007 May-Jun