In situ analysis of corrosion inhibitors using a portable mass spectrometer with paper spray ionization
AuthorsJjunju, Fred Paul Mark
Badu-Tawiah, Abraham K.
Roqan, Iman S.
Cooks, Robert Graham
KAUST DepartmentElectrical Engineering Program
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Semiconductor and Material Spectroscopy (SMS) Laboratory
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562507
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPaper spray (PS) ambient ionization is implemented using a portable mass spectrometer and applied to the detection of alkyl quaternary ammonium salts in a complex oil matrix. These salts are commonly used as active components in the formulation of corrosion inhibitors. They were identified in oil and confirmed by their fragmentation patterns recorded using tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS). The cations of alkyl and benzyl-substituted quaternary ammonium salts showed characteristic neutral losses of CnH2n (n carbon number of the longest chain) and C7H8, respectively. Individual quaternary ammonium compounds were detected at low concentrations (<1 ng μL-1) and over a dynamic range of ∼5 pg μL-1 to 500 pg μL-1 (ppb). Direct detection of these compounds in complex oil samples without prior sample preparation or pre-concentration was also demonstrated using a home-built miniature mass spectrometer at levels below 1 ng μL-1.© 2013 The Royal Society of Chemistry.
CitationJjunju, F. P. M., Li, A., Badu-Tawiah, A., Wei, P., Li, L., Ouyang, Z., … Cooks, R. G. (2013). In situ analysis of corrosion inhibitors using a portable mass spectrometer with paper spray ionization. The Analyst, 138(13), 3740. doi:10.1039/c3an00249g
SponsorsWe acknowledge financial support from the Separations and Analysis Program, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, US Department of Energy, DE-FG02-06ER15807. Financial support was also provided by the US National Science Foundation (CHE 0848650). Fred. P. M. Jjunju thanks King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Thuwal Saudi Arabia for a fellowship.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- In situ analysis of agrochemical residues on fruit using ambient ionization on a handheld mass spectrometer.
- Authors: Soparawalla S, Tadjimukhamedov FK, Wiley JS, Ouyang Z, Cooks RG
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 7
- Screening and Quantification of Aliphatic Primary Alkyl Corrosion Inhibitor Amines in Water Samples by Paper Spray Mass Spectrometry.
- Authors: Jjunju FP, Maher S, Damon DE, Barrett RM, Syed SU, Heeren RM, Taylor S, Badu-Tawiah AK
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 19
- Fabric softeners: nearly instantaneous characterization and quality control of cationic surfactants by easy ambient sonic-spray ionization mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Saraiva SA, Abdelnur PV, Catharino RR, Nunes G, Eberlin MN
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- Derivatization of peptides as quaternary ammonium salts for sensitive detection by ESI-MS.
- Authors: Cydzik M, Rudowska M, Stefanowicz P, Szewczuk Z
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- High mass accuracy in-source collision-induced dissociation tandem mass spectrometry and multi-step mass spectrometry as complementary tools for fragmentation studies of quaternary ammonium herbicides.
- Authors: Núñez O, Moyano E, Galceran MT
- Issue date: 2004 Aug