Phenylalanine-a biogenic ligand with flexible η6- and η6:κ1-coordination at ruthenium(ii) centres
Marziale, Alexander N.
Kiefer, Florian J.
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Biological & Organometallic Catalysis Laboratories
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe reaction of (S)-2,5-dihydrophenylalanine 1 with ruthenium(iii) chloride yields the μ-chloro-bridged dimeric η6-phenylalanine ethyl ester complex 3, which can be converted into the monomeric analogue, η6:κ1-phenylalanine ethyl ester complex 12, under basic conditions. Studies were carried out to determine the stability and reactivity of complexes bearing η6- and η6: κ1-chelating phenylalanine ligands under various conditions. Reaction of 3 with ethylenediamine derivatives N-p-tosylethylenediamine or 1,4-di-N-p-tosylethylenediamine results in the formation of monomeric η6:κ1-phenylalanine ethyl ester complexes 14 and 15, which could be saponified yielding complexes 16 and 17 without changing the inner coordination sphere of the metal centre. The structure of η6:κ1-phenylalanine complex 17 and an N-κ1-phenylalanine complex 13 resulting from the reaction of 3 with an excess of pyridine were confirmed by X-ray crystallography. © 2013 The Royal Society of Chemistry.
SponsorsThe authors thank Dr Andreas O. Frank for help with NMR spectra and both Prof. Dr Horst Kessler and Prof. Dr Thomas F. Fassler for helpful discussions. This work was supported by KAUST-GCR (FIC/2010/07) and the KAUST baseline fund (J. E.). We thank the Elitenetzwerk Bayern (graduate fellowship for T. R. and A. N. M.) and the IDK NanoCat for funding.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
Is Supplemented ByReiner, T., Jantke, D., Miao, X.-H., Marziale, A. N., Kiefer, F. J., & Eppinger, J. (2013). CCDC 721713: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination [Data set]. Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre. https://doi.org/10.5517/ccs7022
Reiner, T., Jantke, D., Miao, X.-H., Marziale, A. N., Kiefer, F. J., & Eppinger, J. (2013). CCDC 721712: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination [Data set]. Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre. https://doi.org/10.5517/ccs7011
- Solution equilibria of anticancer ruthenium(II)-(η(6)-p-cymene)-hydroxy(thio)pyr(id)one complexes: impact of sulfur vs. oxygen donor systems on the speciation and bioactivity.
- Authors: Enyedy EA, Sija E, Jakusch T, Hartinger CG, Kandioller W, Keppler BK, Kiss T
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Synthesis, reactivity studies, structural aspects, and solution behavior of half sandwich ruthenium(II) N,N',N''-triarylguanidinate complexes.
- Authors: Singh T, Kishan R, Nethaji M, Thirupathi N
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 2
- The unprecedented bridging coordination mode of 1,1-cyclobutane dicarboxylate (mu-cbdc-O,O') stabilized by intramolecular hydrogen bonds in ruthenium(II) complexes.
- Authors: Bratsos I, Zangrando E, Serli B, Katsaros N, Alessio E
- Issue date: 2005 Dec 21
- The contrasting chemistry and cancer cell cytotoxicity of bipyridine and bipyridinediol ruthenium(II) arene complexes.
- Authors: Bugarcic T, Habtemariam A, Stepankova J, Heringova P, Kasparkova J, Deeth RJ, Johnstone RD, Prescimone A, Parkin A, Parsons S, Brabec V, Sadler PJ
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 15
- Solvent-induced chirality control in the enantioseparation of 1-phenylethylamine via diastereomeric salt formation.
- Authors: Kodama K, Kimura Y, Shitara H, Yasutake M, Sakurai R, Hirose T
- Issue date: 2011 Apr