Influence of contact height on the performance of vertically aligned carbon nanotube field-effect transistors
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Computational Physics and Materials Science (CPMS)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562481
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVertically aligned carbon nanotube field-effect transistors (CNTFETs) have been experimentally demonstrated (J. Li et al., Carbon, 2012, 50, 4628-4632). The source and drain contact heights in vertical CNTFETs could be much higher than in flat CNTFETs if the fabrication process is not optimized. To understand the impact of contact height on transistor performance, we use a semi-classical method to calculate the characteristics of CNTFETs with different contact heights. The results show that the drain current decreases with increasing contact height and saturates at a value governed by the thickness of the oxide. The current reduction caused by the increased contact height becomes more significant when the gate oxide is thicker. The higher the drain voltage, the larger the current reduction. It becomes even worse when the band gap of the carbon nanotube is larger. The current can differ by a factor of more than five between the CNTEFTs with low and high contact heights when the oxide thickness is 50 nm. In addition, the influence of the contact height is limited by the channel length. The contact height plays a minor role when the channel length is less than 100 nm. © 2013 The Royal Society of Chemistry.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- The fabrication of carbon nanotube field-effect transistors with semiconductors as the source and drain contact materials.
- Authors: Xiao Z, Camino FE
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 1
- Integrating carbon nanotubes into silicon by means of vertical carbon nanotube field-effect transistors.
- Authors: Li J, Wang Q, Yue W, Guo Z, Li L, Zhao C, Wang X, Abutaha AI, Alshareef HN, Zhang Y, Zhang XX
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 7
- Defining and overcoming the contact resistance challenge in scaled carbon nanotube transistors.
- Authors: Franklin AD, Farmer DB, Haensch W
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 22
- Study of carbon nanotube field effect transistors performance based on changes in gate parameters.
- Authors: Shirazi SG, Mirzakuchaki S
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Device and circuit-level performance of carbon nanotube field-effect transistor with benchmarking against a nano-MOSFET.
- Authors: Tan ML, Lentaris G, Amaratunga Aj G
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 19