Interactive volume exploration of petascale microscopy data streams using a visualization-driven virtual memory approach
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Computer Science Program
Visual Computing Center (VCC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper presents the first volume visualization system that scales to petascale volumes imaged as a continuous stream of high-resolution electron microscopy images. Our architecture scales to dense, anisotropic petascale volumes because it: (1) decouples construction of the 3D multi-resolution representation required for visualization from data acquisition, and (2) decouples sample access time during ray-casting from the size of the multi-resolution hierarchy. Our system is designed around a scalable multi-resolution virtual memory architecture that handles missing data naturally, does not pre-compute any 3D multi-resolution representation such as an octree, and can accept a constant stream of 2D image tiles from the microscopes. A novelty of our system design is that it is visualization-driven: we restrict most computations to the visible volume data. Leveraging the virtual memory architecture, missing data are detected during volume ray-casting as cache misses, which are propagated backwards for on-demand out-of-core processing. 3D blocks of volume data are only constructed from 2D microscope image tiles when they have actually been accessed during ray-casting. We extensively evaluate our system design choices with respect to scalability and performance, compare to previous best-of-breed systems, and illustrate the effectiveness of our system for real microscopy data from neuroscience. © 1995-2012 IEEE.
- Exploring the connectome: petascale volume visualization of microscopy data streams.
- Authors: Beyer J, Hadwiger M, Al-Awami A, Jeong WK, Kasthuri N, Lichtman JW, Pfister H
- Issue date: 2013 Jul-Aug
- Scalable and interactive segmentation and visualization of neural processes in EM datasets.
- Authors: Jeong WK, Beyer J, Hadwiger M, Vazquez A, Pfister H, Whitaker RT
- Issue date: 2009 Nov-Dec
- Virtual volume resection using multi-resolution triangular representation of B-spline surfaces.
- Authors: Ruskó L, Mátéka I, Kriston A
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Interactive high-resolution isosurface ray casting on multicore processors.
- Authors: Wang Q, JaJa J
- Issue date: 2008 May-Jun
- Visualization and interactive exploration of multidimensional confocal images.
- Authors: Samarabandu JK, Acharya R, Cheng PC
- Issue date: 1993 May-Jun