Interactive volume exploration of petascale microscopy data streams using a visualization-driven virtual memory approach
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Computer Science Program
Visual Computing Center (VCC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562438
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper presents the first volume visualization system that scales to petascale volumes imaged as a continuous stream of high-resolution electron microscopy images. Our architecture scales to dense, anisotropic petascale volumes because it: (1) decouples construction of the 3D multi-resolution representation required for visualization from data acquisition, and (2) decouples sample access time during ray-casting from the size of the multi-resolution hierarchy. Our system is designed around a scalable multi-resolution virtual memory architecture that handles missing data naturally, does not pre-compute any 3D multi-resolution representation such as an octree, and can accept a constant stream of 2D image tiles from the microscopes. A novelty of our system design is that it is visualization-driven: we restrict most computations to the visible volume data. Leveraging the virtual memory architecture, missing data are detected during volume ray-casting as cache misses, which are propagated backwards for on-demand out-of-core processing. 3D blocks of volume data are only constructed from 2D microscope image tiles when they have actually been accessed during ray-casting. We extensively evaluate our system design choices with respect to scalability and performance, compare to previous best-of-breed systems, and illustrate the effectiveness of our system for real microscopy data from neuroscience. © 1995-2012 IEEE.
CitationHadwiger, M., Beyer, J., Won-Ki Jeong, & Pfister, H. (2012). Interactive Volume Exploration of Petascale Microscopy Data Streams Using a Visualization-Driven Virtual Memory Approach. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 18(12), 2285–2294. doi:10.1109/tvcg.2012.240
- Exploring the connectome: petascale volume visualization of microscopy data streams.
- Authors: Beyer J, Hadwiger M, Al-Awami A, Jeong WK, Kasthuri N, Lichtman JW, Pfister H
- Issue date: 2013 Jul-Aug
- Scalable and interactive segmentation and visualization of neural processes in EM datasets.
- Authors: Jeong WK, Beyer J, Hadwiger M, Vazquez A, Pfister H, Whitaker RT
- Issue date: 2009 Nov-Dec
- Layer-based visualization and biomedical information exploration of multi-channel large histological data.
- Authors: Zhang Q, Peters T, Fenster A
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Virtual volume resection using multi-resolution triangular representation of B-spline surfaces.
- Authors: Ruskó L, Mátéka I, Kriston A
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Interactive high-resolution isosurface ray casting on multicore processors.
- Authors: Wang Q, JaJa J
- Issue date: 2008 May-Jun