Tuning the electronic properties by width and length modifications of narrow-diameter carbon nanotubes for nanomedicine
Saliner, Ana Gallegos
Poch, Manel P.
Worth, Andrew P.
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562356
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe distinctive characteristics of nanoparticles, resulting from properties that arise at the nano-scale, underlie their potential applications in the biomedical sector. However, the very same characteristics also result in widespread concerns about the potentially toxic effects of nanoparticles. Given the large number of nanoparticles that are being developed for possible biomedical use, there is a need to develop rapid screening methods based on in silico methods. This study illustrates the application of conceptual Density Functional Theory (DFT) to some carbon nanotubes (CNTs) optimized by means of static DFT calculations. The computational efforts are focused on the geometry of a family of packed narrow-diameter carbon nanotubes (CNTs) formed by units from four to twelve carbons evaluating the strength of the C-C bonds by means of Mayer Bond Orders (MBO). Thus, width and length are geometrical features that might be used to tune the electronic properties of the CNTs. At infinite length, partial semi-conductor characteristics are expected. © 2012 Bentham Science Publishers.
PublisherBentham Science Publishers Ltd.
JournalCurrent Medicinal Chemistry
- Modeling the structure-property relationships of nanoneedles: A journey toward nanomedicine.
- Authors: Poater A, Saliner AG, Carbó-Dorca R, Poater J, Solà M, Cavallo L, Worth AP
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 30
- Toward in silico approaches for investigating the activity of nanoparticles in therapeutic development.
- Authors: Saliner AG, Poater A, Worth AP
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Preparation of magnetic carbon nanotubes (Mag-CNTs) for biomedical and biotechnological applications.
- Authors: Masotti A, Caporali A
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 18
- Endowing carbon nanotubes with biological and biomedical properties by chemical modifications.
- Authors: Battigelli A, Ménard-Moyon C, Da Ros T, Prato M, Bianco A
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Triplet state absorption in carbon nanotubes: a TD-DFT study.
- Authors: Tretiak S
- Issue date: 2007 Aug