Leaf curl diseases of two solanaceous species in Southwest Arabia are caused by a monopartite begomovirus evolutionarily most closely related to a species from the Nile Basin and unique suite of betasatellites
KAUST DepartmentDesert Agriculture Initiative
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe complete genome of 2780 bases was amplified using rolling circle amplification, and cloned, and sequenced for two distinct strains of the monopartite begomovirus Tomato leaf curl Sudan virus (ToLCSDV). The two strains shared 86-91% identity with the previously described ToLCSDV from the Nile Basin, and 90-91% identity with one another. One strain was cloned from symptomatic tomato plants from Tihamah (ToLCSDV-YE[YE:Tih:05]) while the other was cloned from symptomatic tobacco plants collected from Wadi Hadramaut (ToLCSDV-YE[YE:Had:89]). A distinct full-length betasatellite molecule (1352 bases) was cloned from the respective field-infected tomato and tobacco plants. Agro-inoculation of tomato and Nicotiana benthamiana plants with cloned partial tandem repeats of ToLCSDV-YE[YE:Tih11:05]) and the associated betasatellite, Tomato leaf curl Yemen betasatellite (ToLCYEB-[Tih:tom:137:05]), resulted in the reproduction of leaf curl disease symptoms in test plants like those observed in the field-infected plants. The betasatellite contributed to symptom severity in N. benthamiana test plants when it was co-inoculated with ToLCSDV-YE, compared to the milder symptoms that were observed in tobacco plants infected with the helper virus alone. © 2012 Elsevier B.V.
SponsorsThis research was supported in part by a SABIC Fellowship to the first author, and a Fulbright scholarship to the second author.
- Molecular characterization of a naturally occurring intraspecific recombinant begomovirus with close relatives widespread in southern Arabia.
- Authors: Al-Saleh MA, Al-Shahwan IM, Brown JK, Idris AM
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 2
- Tomato leaf curl Bangalore virus (ToLCBV): infectivity and enhanced pathogenicity with diverse betasatellites.
- Authors: Tiwari N, Padmalatha KV, Singh VB, Haq QM, Malathi VG
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Molecular characterization of a new species of Begomovirus and betasatellite causing leaf curl disease of tomato in India.
- Authors: Kumari P, Singh AK, Chattopadhyay B, Chakraborty S
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- An unusual alphasatellite associated with monopartite begomoviruses attenuates symptoms and reduces betasatellite accumulation.
- Authors: Idris AM, Shahid MS, Briddon RW, Khan AJ, Zhu JK, Brown JK
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Molecular analysis of new isolates of Tomato leaf curl Philippines virus and an associated betasatellite occurring in the Philippines.
- Authors: Sharma P, Matsuda N, Bajet NB, Ikegami M
- Issue date: 2011 Feb