Kinetically blocked stable heptazethrene and octazethrene: Closed-shell or open-shell in the ground state?
Zafra, José Luis
Webster, Richard D.
Lõpez Navarrete, Juan Teodomiro
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Chemical Science Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPolycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons with an open-shell singlet biradical ground state are of fundamental interest and have potential applications in materials science. However, the inherent high reactivity makes their synthesis and characterization very challenging. In this work, a convenient synthetic route was developed to synthesize two kinetically blocked heptazethrene (HZ-TIPS) and octazethrene (OZ-TIPS) compounds with good stability. Their ground-state electronic structures were systematically investigated by a combination of different experimental methods, including steady-state and transient absorption spectroscopy, variable temperature NMR, electron spin resonance (ESR), superconducting quantum interfering device (SQUID), FT Raman, and X-ray crystallographic analysis, assisted by unrestricted symmetry-broken density functional theory (DFT) calculations. All these demonstrated that the heptazethrene derivative HZ-TIPS has a closed-shell ground state while its octazethrene analogue OZ-TIPS with a smaller energy gap exists as an open-shell singlet biradical with a large measured biradical character (y = 0.56). Large two-photon absorption (TPA) cross sections (σ(2)) were determined for HZ-TIPS (σ(2)max = 920 GM at 1250 nm) and OZ-TIPS (σ(2)max = 1200 GM at 1250 nm). In addition, HZ-TIPS and OZ-TIPS show a closely stacked 1D polymer chain in single crystals. © 2012 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsJ.W. acknowledges the financial support from the BMRC-NMRC grant (no. 10/1/21/19/642), MOE Tier 2 grant (MOE2011-T2-2-130), and A*STAR IMRE core funding (IMRE/10-1P0509). The work at Yonsei University was supported by WCU (World Class University) programs (R32-2010-10217-0) and an AFSOR/APARD grant (no. FA2386-09-1-4092). K.-W.H. acknowledges the financial support from KAUST. We thank Ji'En Wu and Yanhui Han for their kind assistance on the NMR analysis and Prof. Yuan-Chung Cheng for useful discussion.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
Is Supplemented ByLi, Y., Heng, W.-K., Lee, B. S., Aratani, N., Zafra, J. L., Bao, N., … Wu, J. (2013). CCDC 875408: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination [Data set]. Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre. https://doi.org/10.5517/ccycxz5
Li, Y., Heng, W.-K., Lee, B. S., Aratani, N., Zafra, J. L., Bao, N., … Wu, J. (2013). CCDC 875409: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination [Data set]. Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre. https://doi.org/10.5517/ccycy07
- Dibenzoheptazethrene isomers with different biradical characters: an exercise of Clar's aromatic sextet rule in singlet biradicaloids.
- Authors: Sun Z, Lee S, Park KH, Zhu X, Zhang W, Zheng B, Hu P, Zeng Z, Das S, Li Y, Chi C, Li RW, Huang KW, Ding J, Kim D, Wu J
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 4
- Stable tetrabenzo-Chichibabin's hydrocarbons: tunable ground state and unusual transition between their closed-shell and open-shell resonance forms.
- Authors: Zeng Z, Sung YM, Bao N, Tan D, Lee R, Zafra JL, Lee BS, Ishida M, Ding J, López Navarrete JT, Li Y, Zeng W, Kim D, Huang KW, Webster RD, Casado J, Wu J
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 5
- Zethrenes, extended p-quinodimethanes, and periacenes with a singlet biradical ground state.
- Authors: Sun Z, Zeng Z, Wu J
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 19
- Benzo-thia-fused [<i>n</i>]thienoacenequinodimethanes with small to moderate diradical characters: the role of pro-aromaticity <i>versus</i> anti-aromaticity.
- Authors: Shi X, Quintero E, Lee S, Jing L, Herng TS, Zheng B, Huang KW, López Navarrete JT, Ding J, Kim D, Casado J, Chi C
- Issue date: 2016 May 1
- Pushing extended p-quinodimethanes to the limit: stable tetracyano-oligo(N-annulated perylene)quinodimethanes with tunable ground states.
- Authors: Zeng Z, Ishida M, Zafra JL, Zhu X, Sung YM, Bao N, Webster RD, Lee BS, Li RW, Zeng W, Li Y, Chi C, López Navarrete JT, Ding J, Casado J, Kim D, Wu J
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 24