Theoretical study of the fibrous capsule tissue growth around a disk-shaped implant
KAUST DepartmentApplied Mathematics and Computational Science Program
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562278
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe analyze the mathematical properties of the fibrous capsule tissue concentration around a disk-shaped implant. We establish stability estimates as well as monotonicity results that illustrate the sensitivity of this growth to the biocompatibility index parameters of the implant. In addition, we prove that the growth of the tissue increases exponentially in time toward an asymptotic regime. We also study the mathematical properties of the solution of the inverse problem consisting in the determination of the values of the biocompatibility index parameters from the knowledge of some fibrous capsule tissue measurements. We prove that this model calibration problem admits a unique solution, and establish a characterization of the index parameters. Furthermore, we demonstrate analytically that such a solution is not continuous with respect to the data, and therefore the considered inverse problem is ill-posed due to the lack of the stability requirement. © 2012 Springer-Verlag.
SponsorsThe first author acknowledges the support of MiniMed/Medtronic and the office of Graduate Studies at CSUN under grant# E1515. Some of this work was conducted while the first author was visiting the Mathematical and Computer Sciences and Engineering Division at the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. He also would like to thank KAUST for its generous hospitality. Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of MiniMed/Medtronic or of the office of Graduate Studies at CSUN, or KAUST.
JournalJournal of Mathematical Biology
- Modeling capsule tissue growth around disk-shaped implants: a numerical and in vivo study.
- Authors: Ryan P, Djellouli R, Cohen R
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Numerical investigation of the electrical current effect on the fibrous tissue growth around biomaterials.
- Authors: Mahserejian S, Ryan P, Djellouli R, Cohen R
- Issue date: 2014
- Biocompatibility of steroid-HA delivery system using adult castrated rams as a model.
- Authors: Benghuzzi H, England B
- Issue date: 2001
- One year histopathological evaluation of fibrous tissue surrounding TCPL implants using adult rats as a model.
- Authors: Butler K, Benghuzzi H, Bajpai P, Puckett A, Tucci M, Cason Z, England B
- Issue date: 1997
- [Biocompatibility of implants with and without fluorohydrocarbon glow polymer coating. 4. Recommendations for the histocompatibility (repair) index for the evaluation of various implant materials].
- Authors: Keller F, Knöfler W, Schreiber H
- Issue date: 1985