Direct structural mapping of organic field-effect transistors reveals bottlenecks to carrier transport
Ward, Jeremy W.
Smilgies, Detlef Matthias
Payne, Marcia M.
Anthony, John Edward
Jurchescu, Oana D.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Organic Electronics and Photovoltaics Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractX-ray microbeam scattering is used to map the microstructure of the organic semiconductor along the channel length of solution-processed bottom-contact OFET devices. Contact-induced nucleation is known to influence the crystallization behavior within the channel. We find that microstructural inhomogeneities in the center of the channel act as a bottleneck to charge transport. This problem can be overcome by controlling crystallization of the preferable texture, thus favoring more efficient charge transport throughout the channel. © 2012 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
SponsorsWe are grateful to Mr. Mohammed Balamesh for his important contributions to the operational readiness of the Organic Electronics and Photovoltaics Laboratory at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. Part of this work was supported by KAUST's Office of Competitive Research Funds under award number FIC/2010/04. We acknowledge use of the D1 beam line at the Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF DMR-0225180) and NIH-NIGMS. JWW and ODJ acknowledge financial support from the National Science Foundation (ECCS-1102275). We thank Jake Mohin (Carnegie-Mellon University) and Dave Schuller (MacCHESS) for their help with the micrograph metrology software as well as Sterling Cornaby, Tom Szebenyi, and Don Bilderback (CHESS) for providing the high-quality x-ray focusing capillary.
- Patternable solution-crystallized organic transistors with high charge carrier mobility.
- Authors: Nakayama K, Hirose Y, Soeda J, Yoshizumi M, Uemura T, Uno M, Li W, Kang MJ, Yamagishi M, Okada Y, Miyazaki E, Nakazawa Y, Nakao A, Takimiya K, Takeya J
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 12
- Biofunctional electrolyte-gated organic field-effect transistors.
- Authors: Buth F, Donner A, Sachsenhauser M, Stutzmann M, Garrido JA
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 28
- Role of molecular order and solid-state structure in organic field-effect transistors.
- Authors: Mas-Torrent M, Rovira C
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 10
- Tunable field-effect mobility utilizing mixed crystals of organic molecules.
- Authors: Huang L, Liu C, Qiao X, Tian H, Geng Y, Yan D
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 9
- Guiding crystallization around bends and sharp corners.
- Authors: Lee SS, Tang SB, Smilgies DM, Woll AR, Loth MA, Mativetsky JM, Anthony JE, Loo YL
- Issue date: 2012 May 22