First proteome of the egg perivitelline fluid of a freshwater gastropod with aerial oviposition
Dreon, Marcos Sebastián
KAUST DepartmentBioscience Core Lab
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Integrative Systems Biology Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPomacea canaliculata is a freshwater snail that deposits eggs on solid substrates above the water surface. Previous studies have emphasized the nutritional and protective functions of the three most abundant perivitelline fluid (PVF) protein complexes (ovorubin, PV2, and PV3) during its embryonic development, but little is known about the structure and function of other less abundant proteins. Using 2-DE, SDS-PAGE, MALDI TOF/TOF, and LC-MS/MS, we identified 59 proteins from the PVF of P. canaliculata, among which 19 are novel. KEGG analysis showed that the functions of the majority of these proteins are "unknown" (n = 34), "environmental information processing" (10), 9 of which are related to innate immunity, and "metabolism" (7). Suppressive subtractive hybridization revealed 21 PVF genes to be specific to the albumen gland, indicating this organ is the origin of many of the PVF proteins. Further, the 3 ovorubin subunits were identified with 30.2-35.0% identity among them, indicating their common origin but ancient duplications. Characterization of the PVF proteome has opened the gate for further studies aiming to understand the evolution of the novel proteins and their contribution to the switch to aerial oviposition. © 2012 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsH.H. and S.I. are members of Carrera del Investigador CONICET, Argentina. M.S.D. is a member of Carrera del Investigador CICBA, Argentina. This study was supported by a HKBU postgraduate scholarship to J.S. and a grant (HKBU FRG2/10-11/009) to J.W.Q.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
JournalJournal of Proteome Research
- An integrated proteomic and transcriptomic analysis of perivitelline fluid proteins in a freshwater gastropod laying aerial eggs.
- Authors: Mu H, Sun J, Heras H, Chu KH, Qiu JW
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 23
- Characterization of the major egg glycolipoproteins from the perivitellin fluid of the apple snail Pomacea canaliculata.
- Authors: Dreon MS, Heras H, Pollero RJ
- Issue date: 2004 Jul
- The proteome of the insoluble Schistosoma mansoni eggshell skeleton.
- Authors: Dewalick S, Bexkens ML, van Balkom BW, Wu YP, Smit CH, Hokke CH, de Groot PG, Heck AJ, Tielens AG, van Hellemond JJ
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Synthesis, distribution, and levels of an egg lipoprotein from the apple snail Pomacea canaliculata (Mollusca: Gastropoda).
- Authors: Dreon M, Lavarias S, Garin CF, Heras H, Pollero RJ
- Issue date: 2002 Feb 15
- Isolation and characterization of a novel perivitellin from the eggs of Pomacea scalaris (Mollusca, Ampullariidae).
- Authors: Ituarte S, Dreon MS, Ceolín M, Heras H
- Issue date: 2008 Sep