Understanding the fouling of UF/MF hollow fibres of biologically treated wastewaters using advanced EfOM characterization and statistical tools
KAUST DepartmentWater Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFive secondary effluents and a river water source were characterized using size exclusion chromatography (LC-OCD-UVD-OND) and emission-excitation matrix (EEM) fluorescence spectroscopy in order to identify the major effluent organic matter (EfOM) fractions responsible for membrane fouling. This study showed the feasibility of coupling fluorescence EEM and LC-OCD-UVD-OND to investigate the fouling potential as well as a means to differentiate natural organic matter (NOM) from EfOM. The secondary effluents and river water showed a significant difference in organic matter characteristics and fouling potential, highlighting the importance of biological processes and the feed water source on EfOM characteristics and fouling potential. On the basis of statistical analysis, protein-like substances were found to be highly correlated to the fouling potential of secondary effluents. © 2012 Elsevier Ltd.
- Combined coagulation-disk filtration process as a pretreatment of ultrafiltration and reverse osmosis membrane for wastewater reclamation: an autopsy study of a pilot plant.
- Authors: Chon K, Kim SJ, Moon J, Cho J
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 15
- Contribution of effluent organic matter (EfOM) to ultrafiltration (UF) membrane fouling: isolation, characterization, and fouling effect of EfOM fractions.
- Authors: Zheng X, Khan MT, Croué JP
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 15
- Differentiation of wastewater effluent organic matter (EfOM) from natural organic matter (NOM) using multiple analytical techniques.
- Authors: Nam SN, Amy G
- Issue date: 2008
- Identifying fouling events in a membrane-based drinking water treatment process using principal component analysis of fluorescence excitation-emission matrices.
- Authors: Peiris RH, Hallé C, Budman H, Moresoli C, Peldszus S, Huck PM, Legge RL
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Microfiltration of different surface waters with/without coagulation: clear correlations between membrane fouling and hydrophilic biopolymers.
- Authors: Kimura K, Tanaka K, Watanabe Y
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 1