Mixing effect on thermophilic anaerobic digestion of source-sorted organic fraction of municipal solid waste
KAUST DepartmentWater Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Environmental Biotechnology Research Group
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562252
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper examines the effect of mixing on the performance of thermophilic anaerobic digestion of source-sorted organic fraction of municipal solid waste during the start-up phase and in the absence of an acclimated seed. For this purpose, two digesters were used under similar starting conditions and operated for 235days with different mixing schemes. While both digesters exhibited a successful startup with comparable specific methane yield of 0.327 and 0.314l CH 4/gVS, continuous slow stirring improved stability by reducing average VFA accumulation from 2890 to 825mg HAc/l, propionate content from 2073 to 488mg/l, and VFA-to-alkalinity ratio from 0.32 to 0.07. As a result, the startup with slow mixing was faster and smoother accomplishing a higher loading capacity of 2.5gVS/l/d in comparison to 1.9gVS/l/d for non-mixing. Mixing equally improved microbial abundance from 6.6 to 10gVSS/l and enhanced solids and soluble COD removal. © 2012 Elsevier Ltd.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the National Council for Scientific Research, Lebanon and the Masri Institute of Energy and Natural Resources at the American University of Beirut. Special thanks are extended to the US Agency for International Development for its support in acquiring the automated bioreactors used in the experimental program.
- A study of two-stage anaerobic digestion of solid potato waste using reactors under mesophilic and thermophilic conditions.
- Authors: Parawira W, Murto M, Read JS, Mattiasson B
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor--a review.
- Authors: Bal AS, Dhagat NN
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Anaerobic co-digestion of sewage sludge and food waste using temperature-phased anaerobic digestion process.
- Authors: Kim HW, Han SK, Shin HS
- Issue date: 2004
- Effect of pre-aeration and inoculum on the start-up of batch thermophilic anaerobic digestion of municipal solid waste.
- Authors: Charles W, Walker L, Cord-Ruwisch R
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- A novel process configuration for anaerobic digestion of source-sorted household waste using hyper-thermophilic post-treatment.
- Authors: Hartmann H, Ahring BK
- Issue date: 2005 Jun 30