Hydrostratigraphy and hydrogeology of the western part of Maira area, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan: A case study by using electrical resistivity
KAUST DepartmentWater Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHydrostratigraphy and hydrogeology of the Maira vicinity is important for the characterization of aquifer system and developing numerical groundwater flow models to predict the future availability of the water resource. Conventionally, the aquifer parameters are obtained by the analysis of pumping tests data which provide limited spatial information and turn out to be costly and time consuming. Vertical electrical soundings and pump testing of boreholes were conducted to delineate the aquifer system at the western part of the Maira area, Khyber Pakhtun Khwa, Pakistan. Aquifer lithology in the eastern part of the study area is dominated by coarse sand and gravel whereas the western part is characterized by fine sand. An attempt has been made to estimate the hydraulic conductivity of the aquifer system by establishing a relationship between the pumping test results and vertical electrical soundings by using regression technique. The relationship is applied to the area along the resistivity profiles where boreholes are not drilled. Our findings show a good match between pumped hydraulic conductivity and estimated hydraulic conductivity. In case of sparse borehole data, regression technique is useful in estimating hydraulic properties for aquifers with varying lithology. © 2012 Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Geophysical Assessment of Groundwater Potential: A Case Study from Mian Channu Area, Pakistan.
- Authors: Hasan M, Shang Y, Akhter G, Jin W
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 17
- Filtration and transport of Bacillus subtilis spores and the F-RNA phage MS2 in a coarse alluvial gravel aquifer: implications in the estimation of setback distances.
- Authors: Pang L, Close M, Goltz M, Noonan M, Sinton L
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Determining the depositional pattern by resistivity-seismic inversion for the aquifer system of Maira area, Pakistan.
- Authors: Akhter G, Farid A, Ahmad Z
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Shallow hydrostratigraphy in an arsenic affected region of Bengal Basin: implication for targeting safe aquifers for drinking water supply.
- Authors: Biswas A, Bhattacharya P, Mukherjee A, Nath B, Alexanderson H, Kundu AK, Chatterjee D, Jacks G
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 1
- Integrating petrography, mineralogy and hydrochemistry to constrain the influence and distribution of groundwater contributions to baseflow in poorly productive aquifers: insights from Gortinlieve catchment, Co. Donegal, NW Ireland.
- Authors: Caulfield J, Chelliah M, Comte JC, Cassidy R, Flynn R
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 1