Overview of errors in the reference sequence and annotation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv, and variation amongst its isolates
KAUST DepartmentComputational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSince its publication in 1998, the genome sequence of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv laboratory strain has acted as the cornerstone for the study of tuberculosis. In this review we address some of the practical aspects that have come to light relating to the use of H37Rv throughout the past decade which are of relevance for the ongoing genomic and laboratory studies of this pathogen. These include errors in the genome reference sequence and its annotation, as well as the recently detected variation amongst isolates of H37Rv from different laboratories. © 2011 Elsevier B.V..
SponsorsClaudio U. Koser is a Gates Cambridge Scholar and received additional funding from the Cambridge Philosophical Society, the Cambridge European Trust and Clare Hall, Cambridge. We thank D. Collins, J. Parkhill, F. Spies, and S. Okamo for sharing some of their data. We are also grateful to S. Gagneux for proofreading this paper.
- Proteogenomic analysis of polymorphisms and gene annotation divergences in prokaryotes using a clustered mass spectrometry-friendly database.
- Authors: de Souza GA, Arntzen MØ, Fortuin S, Schürch AC, Målen H, McEvoy CR, van Soolingen D, Thiede B, Warren RM, Wiker HG
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Evidence for a rapid rate of molecular evolution at the hypervariable and immunogenic Mycobacterium tuberculosis PPE38 gene region.
- Authors: McEvoy CR, van Helden PD, Warren RM, Gey van Pittius NC
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 21
- Variation among genome sequences of H37Rv strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from multiple laboratories.
- Authors: Ioerger TR, Feng Y, Ganesula K, Chen X, Dobos KM, Fortune S, Jacobs WR Jr, Mizrahi V, Parish T, Rubin E, Sassetti C, Sacchettini JC
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- [Future prospects of molecular epidemiology in tuberculosis].
- Authors: Matsumoto T, Iwamoto T
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Identification of moaA3 gene in patient isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Kerala, which is absent in M. tuberculosis H37Rv and H37Ra.
- Authors: Sarojini S, Soman S, Radhakrishnan I, Mundayoor S
- Issue date: 2005 Oct 4