Vertically grown multiwalled carbon nanotube anode and nickel silicide integrated high performance microsized (1.25 μl) microbial fuel cell
KAUST DepartmentElectrical Engineering Program
Integrated Nanotechnology Lab
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562088
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMicrobial fuel cells (MFCs) are an environmentally friendly method for water purification and self-sustained electricity generation using microorganisms. Microsized MFCs can also be a useful power source for lab-on-a-chip and similar integrated devices. We fabricated a 1.25 μL microsized MFC containing an anode of vertically aligned, forest type multiwalled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs) with a nickel silicide (NiSi) contact area that produced 197 mA/m 2 of current density and 392 mW/m 3 of power density. The MWCNTs increased the anode surface-to-volume ratio, which improved the ability of the microorganisms to couple and transfer electrons to the anode. The use of nickel silicide also helped to boost the output current by providing a low resistance contact area to more efficiently shuttle electrons from the anode out of the device. © 2012 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsWe thank Prof. Gary Amy, Director, Water Desalination and Reuse Center (KAUST) for useful technical discussion, Miss Kelly Rader for logistic support, Water Desalination and Reuse Center (WDRC, KAUST) for lab facility, and Global Collaborative Research (GCR) of King Abdullah University of Science and Technology for providing generous financial support.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Sustainable design of high-performance microsized microbial fuel cell with carbon nanotube anode and air cathode.
- Authors: Mink JE, Hussain MM
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 27
- Three-dimensional carbon nanotube-textile anode for high-performance microbial fuel cells.
- Authors: Xie X, Hu L, Pasta M, Wells GF, Kong D, Criddle CS, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 12
- High power density microbial fuel cell with flexible 3D graphene-nickel foam as anode.
- Authors: Wang H, Wang G, Ling Y, Qian F, Song Y, Lu X, Chen S, Tong Y, Li Y
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 7
- Multiwalled carbon nanotube/polyarcylonitrile composite as anode material for microbial fuel cells application.
- Authors: Kim SI, Roh SH
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Improved microbial fuel cell performance by encapsulating microbial cells with a nickel-coated sponge.
- Authors: Liu X, Du X, Wang X, Li N, Xu P, Ding Y
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 15