Blue-emitting dinuclear N-heterocyclic dicarbene gold(I) complex featuring a nearly unit quantum yield
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562086
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDinuclear N-heterocyclic dicarbene gold(I) complexes of general formula [Au 2(RIm-Y-ImR) 2](PF 6) 2 (R = Me, Cy; Y = (CH 2) 1-4, o-xylylene, m-xylylene) have been synthesized and screened for their luminescence properties. All the complexes are weakly emissive in solution whereas in the solid state some of them show significant luminescence intensities. In particular, crystals or powders of the complex with R = Me, Y = (CH 2) 3 exhibit an intense blue emission (λ max = 450 nm) with a high quantum yield (Φ em = 0.96). The X-ray crystal structure of this complex is characterized by a rather short intramolecular Au•••Au distance (3.272 Ǻ). Time dependent density functional theory (TDDFT) calculations have been used to calculate the UV/vis properties of the ground state as well as of the first excited state of the complex, the latter featuring a significantly shorter Au•••Au distance. © 2012 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsC.T. thanks the University of Padova for financial support (CPDA085452 and HELIOS). This work was also supported by EC (ITN "FINELUMEN" PITN-GA-2008-215399) and the CNR (PM.P04.010, MACOL). Dr. Valerio Causin is gratefully acknowledged for the powder XRD measurements.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Luminescent Au(I)/Cu(I) alkynyl clusters with an ethynyl steroid and related aliphatic ligands: an octanuclear Au4Cu4 cluster and luminescence polymorphism in Au3Cu2 clusters.
- Authors: Manbeck GF, Brennessel WW, Stockland RA Jr, Eisenberg R
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 8
- Dinuclear gold(I) complexes with propylene bridged N-heterocyclic dicarbene ligands: synthesis, structures, and trends in reactivities and properties.
- Authors: Tubaro C, Baron M, Costante M, Basato M, Biffis A, Gennaro A, Isse AA, Graiff C, Accorsi G
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 14
- Iridium metal complexes containing N-heterocyclic carbene ligands for blue-light-emitting electrochemical cells.
- Authors: Yang CH, Beltran J, Lemaur V, Cornil J, Hartmann D, Sarfert W, Fröhlich R, Bizzarri C, De Cola L
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 1
- Syntheses, structures, and photophysical properties of mono- and dinuclear sulfur-rich gold(I) complexes.
- Authors: Guyon F, Hameau A, Khatyr A, Knorr M, Amrouche H, Fortin D, Harvey PD, Strohmann C, Ndiaye AL, Huch V, Veith M, Avarvari N
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 1
- Electronic and molecular structures of the members of the electron transfer series [Cr(tbpy)3]n (n = 3+, 2+, 1+, 0): an X-ray absorption spectroscopic and density functional theoretical study.
- Authors: Scarborough CC, Sproules S, Weyhermüller T, DeBeer S, Wieghardt K
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 19