Moonlighting kinases with guanylate cyclase activity can tune regulatory signal networks
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Molecular Signalling Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGuanylate cyclase (GC) catalyzes the formation of cGMP and it is only recently that such enzymes have been characterized in plants. One family of plant GCs contains the GC catalytic center encapsulated within the intracellular kinase domain of leucine rich repeat receptor like kinases such as the phytosulfokine and brassinosteroid receptors. In vitro studies show that both the kinase and GC domain have catalytic activity indicating that these kinase-GCs are examples of moonlighting proteins with dual catalytic function. The natural ligands for both receptors increase intracellular cGMP levels in isolated mesophyll protoplast assays suggesting that the GC activity is functionally relevant. cGMP production may have an autoregulatory role on receptor kinase activity and/or contribute to downstream cell expansion responses. We postulate that the receptors are members of a novel class of receptor kinases that contain functional moonlighting GC domains essential for complex signaling roles.
PublisherInforma UK Limited
JournalPlant Signaling & Behavior
PubMed Central IDPMC3405710
- The phytosulfokine (PSK) receptor is capable of guanylate cyclase activity and enabling cyclic GMP-dependent signaling in plants.
- Authors: Kwezi L, Ruzvidzo O, Wheeler JI, Govender K, Iacuone S, Thompson PE, Gehring C, Irving HR
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 24
- Comparison of moonlighting guanylate cyclases: roles in signal direction?
- Authors: Freihat L, Muleya V, Manallack DT, Wheeler JI, Irving HR
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- The Arabidopsis thaliana proteome harbors undiscovered multi-domain molecules with functional guanylyl cyclase catalytic centers.
- Authors: Wong A, Gehring C
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 8
- Calcium is the switch in the moonlighting dual function of the ligand-activated receptor kinase phytosulfokine receptor 1.
- Authors: Muleya V, Wheeler JI, Ruzvidzo O, Freihat L, Manallack DT, Gehring C, Irving HR
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 23
- [Biosynthesis of cyclic GMP in plant cells - new insight into guanylate cyclases].
- Authors: Świeżawska B, Marciniak K, Szmidt-Jaworska A
- Issue date: 2015