Polyphosphonium polymers for siRNA delivery: An efficient and nontoxic alternative to polyammonium carriers
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562078
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA water-soluble polyphosphonium polymer was synthesized and directly compared with its ammonium analog in terms of siRNA delivery. The triethylphosphonium polymer shows transfection efficiency up to 65% with 100% cell viability, whereas the best result obtained for the ammonium analog reaches only 25% transfection with 85% cell viability. Moreover, the nature of the alkyl substituents on the phosphonium cations is shown to have an important influence on the transfection efficiency and toxicity of the polyplexes. The present results show that the use of positively charged phosphonium groups is a worthy choice to achieve a good balance between toxicity and transfection efficiency in gene delivery systems. © 2012 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsThis project has been funded in part with Federal funds from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, under Contract No. HHSN268201000043C, and in part through the Frechet "various donors" fund for the support of research in new materials. We thank Ann Fischer and Michelle Yasukawa for help with cell culture and Dr. Peter Friebe and Dr. Eva Harris for assistance with and the use of their luminescence plate reader. P.R.W. gratefully acknowledges the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AvH) for partial funding.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Effect of multifold charge groups and imidazole-4-carboxaldehyde on physicochemical characteristics and transfection of cationic polyphosphazenes/DNA complexes.
- Authors: Yang Y, Zhang Z, Chen L, Li Y
- Issue date: 2010 May 10
- Polymer nanocarrier system for endosome escape and timed release of siRNA with complete gene silencing and cell death in cancer cells.
- Authors: Gu W, Jia Z, Truong NP, Prasadam I, Xiao Y, Monteiro MJ
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 14
- Synthesis and characterization of a novel arginine-grafted dendritic block copolymer for gene delivery and study of its cellular uptake pathway leading to transfection.
- Authors: Kim TI, Baek JU, Yoon JK, Choi JS, Kim K, Park JS
- Issue date: 2007 Mar-Apr
- Polyspermine imidazole-4,5-imine, a chemically dynamic and biologically responsive carrier system for intracellular delivery of siRNA.
- Authors: Duan S, Yuan W, Wu F, Jin T
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 6
- Simple modifications of branched PEI lead to highly efficient siRNA carriers with low toxicity.
- Authors: Zintchenko A, Philipp A, Dehshahri A, Wagner E
- Issue date: 2008 Jul