Structural basis for sequence-specific recognition of DNA by TAL effectors
Mahfouz, Magdy M.
Shi, Yi Gong
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Plant Science Program
Desert Agriculture Initiative
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562055
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTAL (transcription activator-like) effectors, secreted by phytopathogenic bacteria, recognize host DNA sequences through a central domain of tandem repeats. Each repeat comprises 33 to 35 conserved amino acids and targets a specific base pair by using two hypervariable residues [known as repeat variable diresidues (RVDs)] at positions 12 and 13. Here, we report the crystal structures of an 11.5-repeat TAL effector in both DNA-free and DNA-bound states. Each TAL repeat comprises two helices connected by a short RVD-containing loop. The 11.5 repeats form a right-handed, superhelical structure that tracks along the sense strand of DNA duplex, with RVDs contacting the major groove. The 12th residue stabilizes the RVD loop, whereas the 13th residue makes a base-specific contact. Understanding DNA recognition by TAL effectors may facilitate rational design of DNA-binding proteins with biotechnological applications.
SponsorsWe thank J. He and Q. Wang at Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility (SSRF) beamline BL17U and K. Hasegawa and T. Kumasaka at the Spring-8 beamline BL41XU for on-site assistance. This work was supported by funds from the Ministry of Science and Technology (grant numbers 2009CB918801, 2009CB918802, and 2011CB910501); projects 30888001, 91017011, and 31070644 of the National Natural Science Foundation of China; and Tsinghua University 985 Phase II funds. Coordinates and structure factors for the DNA-free and DNA-bound structures have been deposited with the Protein Data Bank under accession codes 3V6P and 3V6T.
PubMed Central IDPMC3586824
- The crystal structure of TAL effector PthXo1 bound to its DNA target.
- Authors: Mak AN, Bradley P, Cernadas RA, Bogdanove AJ, Stoddard BL
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 10
- Structural basis of the TAL effector-DNA interaction.
- Authors: Bochtler M
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- TAL effector-DNA specificity.
- Authors: Scholze H, Boch J
- Issue date: 2010 Sep-Oct
- Breaking the code of DNA binding specificity of TAL-type III effectors.
- Authors: Boch J, Scholze H, Schornack S, Landgraf A, Hahn S, Kay S, Lahaye T, Nickstadt A, Bonas U
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 11
- Specific DNA-RNA hybrid recognition by TAL effectors.
- Authors: Yin P, Deng D, Yan C, Pan X, Xi JJ, Yan N, Shi Y
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 25