RSARF: Prediction of residue solvent accessibility from protein sequence using random forest method
Kandaswamy, Krishna Kumar Umar
Chou -, Kuochen
Kolatkar, Prasanna R.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrediction of protein structure from its amino acid sequence is still a challenging problem. The complete physicochemical understanding of protein folding is essential for the accurate structure prediction. Knowledge of residue solvent accessibility gives useful insights into protein structure prediction and function prediction. In this work, we propose a random forest method, RSARF, to predict residue accessible surface area from protein sequence information. The training and testing was performed using 120 proteins containing 22006 residues. For each residue, buried and exposed state was computed using five thresholds (0%, 5%, 10%, 25%, and 50%). The prediction accuracy for 0%, 5%, 10%, 25%, and 50% thresholds are 72.9%, 78.25%, 78.12%, 77.57% and 72.07% respectively. Further, comparison of RSARF with other methods using a benchmark dataset containing 20 proteins shows that our approach is useful for prediction of residue solvent accessibility from protein sequence without using structural information. The RSARF program, datasets and supplementary data are available at http://caps.ncbs.res.in/download/pugal/RSARF/. - See more at: http://www.eurekaselect.com/89216/article#sthash.pwVGFUjq.dpuf
PublisherBentham Science Publishers Ltd.
JournalProtein & Peptide Letters
- Real value prediction of protein solvent accessibility using enhanced PSSM features.
- Authors: Chang DT, Huang HY, Syu YT, Wu CP
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 12
- Prediction of protein solvent accessibility using fuzzy k-nearest neighbor method.
- Authors: Sim J, Kim SY, Lee J
- Issue date: 2005 Jun 15
- CRYSpred: accurate sequence-based protein crystallization propensity prediction using sequence-derived structural characteristics.
- Authors: Mizianty MJ, Kurgan LA
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Impact of residue accessible surface area on the prediction of protein secondary structures.
- Authors: Momen-Roknabadi A, Sadeghi M, Pezeshk H, Marashi SA
- Issue date: 2008 Aug 31
- A consensus procedure improving solvent accessibility prediction.
- Authors: Gianese G, Pascarella S
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 15