Three-dimensional assemblies of graphene prepared by a novel chemical reduction-induced self-assembly method
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Nanotechnology Lab
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562033
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this study, three-dimensional (3D) graphene assemblies are prepared from graphene oxide (GO) by a facile in situ reduction-assembly method, using a novel, low-cost, and environment-friendly reducing medium which is a combination of oxalic acid (OA) and sodium iodide (NaI). It is demonstrated that the combination of a reducing acid, OA, and NaI is indispensable for effective reduction of GO in the current study and this unique combination (1) allows for tunable control over the volume of the thus-prepared graphene assemblies and (2) enables 3D graphene assemblies to be prepared from the GO suspension with a wide range of concentrations (0.1 to 4.5 mg mL-1). To the best of our knowledge, the GO concentration of 0.1 mg mL-1 is the lowest GO concentration ever reported for preparation of 3D graphene assemblies. The thus-prepared 3D graphene assemblies exhibit low density, highly porous structures, and electrically conducting properties. As a proof of concept, we show that by infiltrating a responsive polymer of polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) into the as-resulted 3D conducting network of graphene, a conducting composite is obtained, which can be used as a sensing device for differentiating organic solvents with different polarity. © 2012 The Royal Society of Chemistry.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Large-area preparation of high-quality and uniform three-dimensional graphene networks through thermal degradation of graphene oxide-nitrocellulose composites.
- Authors: Zhang X, Ziemer KS, Zhang K, Ramirez D, Li L, Wang S, Hope-Weeks LJ, Weeks BL
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 21
- Layer-by-layer self-assembled multilayer films composed of graphene/polyaniline bilayers: high-energy electrode materials for supercapacitors.
- Authors: Sarker AK, Hong JD
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 28
- In situ self-assembly of mild chemical reduction graphene for three-dimensional architectures.
- Authors: Chen W, Yan L
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Assembly of graphene sheets into 3D macroscopic structures.
- Authors: Yin S, Niu Z, Chen X
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 20
- Spontaneous reduction and assembly of graphene oxide into three-dimensional graphene network on arbitrary conductive substrates.
- Authors: Hu C, Zhai X, Liu L, Zhao Y, Jiang L, Qu L
- Issue date: 2013