KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Computational Physics and Materials Science (CPMS)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractForming a good Ge/dielectric interface is important to improve the electron mobility of a Ge metal oxide semiconductor field-effect transistor. A thin yttrium germanate capping layer can improve the properties of the Ge/GeO 2 system. We employ electronic structure calculations to investigate the effect of oxygen vacancies in yttrium-doped GeO 2 and the yttrium germanates Y 2Ge 2O 7 and Y 2GeO 5. The calculated densities of states indicate that dangling bonds from oxygen vacancies introduce in-gap states, but the system remains insulating. However, yttrium-doped GeO 2 becomes metallic under oxygen deficiency. Y-doped GeO 2, Y 2Ge 2O 7 and Y 2GeO 5 are calculated to be oxygen substoichiometric under low Fermi energy conditions. The use of yttrium germanates is proposed as a way to effectively passivate the Ge/dielectric interface. This journal is © 2012 the Owner Societies.
SponsorsAC and AD acknowledge financial support from the EU FP7-PEOPLE-2010-IEF project REACT-273631.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Hydrothermal synthesis and structural characterization of a new organically templated germanate, Ge(10)O(21)(OH).N(4)C(6)H(21).
- Authors: Beitone L, Loiseau T, Férey G
- Issue date: 2002 Jul 29
- Structure of GeO(2)-P(2)O(5) glasses studied by x-ray and neutron diffraction.
- Authors: Hoppe U, Brow RK, Tischendorf BC, Jóvári P, Hannon AC
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 15
- Surface dependence of CO2 adsorption on Zn2GeO4.
- Authors: Liu L, Fan W, Zhao X, Sun H, Li P, Sun L
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 17
- Selective Passivation of GeO2/Ge Interface Defects in Atomic Layer Deposited High-k MOS Structures.
- Authors: Zhang L, Li H, Guo Y, Tang K, Woicik J, Robertson J, McIntyre PC
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 23
- 3-D germanate constructed with Ge7 cluster layers and nickel-ethanolamine linkage.
- Authors: Luo W, Mu WQ, Zhang X, Zhang X, Pu YY, Zhu QY, Dai J
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 6